Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i picked up a 1999 FLHPI yesterday with minor fire damage in the rear. The whole front is untouched, the fire didnt get to hot because the rear fender doesnt even need to be touched. The bags got toasted a bit. Chrome needs to be cleaned in the rear but aside everything is good. I charged up the beattery and it turns over but wont start, now the guy i bought it off of (70 year old yuppy---didnt even have pliers to remove the license plate) said he hadnt started it since the fire in mid winter. The engine light is throwing a code but im not sure what the code is. I pulled the side panels off that cover all the brains and everything is good, nothing got melted at all, all the lights are working, front and rear. ANY input would be awsome!

PS i only bought the bike because of the price i got it for, i attend many insurance auctions and see what these things go for and for what i paid, i stole the thing even if i have to put some money into it.!

·
when did it start 4u
2,051 Posts
I would do all new fluids and plugs stuff like that take batt off and then turn it on to make sure that all the juice is outta the bike and go from there.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
EFI or carbed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EFI......

I left the battery charger on all day while at work, when i got home i tried to start it again, took a few cranks but started up! Engine light came on, which doesnt surprise me the bike was in a fire. I plan on changing all the fluids and the belt. I got some pics ill throw up on here! anything else you guys think i should look out for?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A trash bag caught on fire at the tail pipe....i have a friend with a scanner so im going to run it this weekend.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
The link I gave you shows you how to scan it yourself, and the codes are all listed......

For a 1999 EFI, use the 2000 procedure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you know the site that has all the free service manuals? I had it for my sled and it had harley manuals on the site also...i forgot to save it though.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I've never seen a site that had free Harley manuals.....

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
around $40.00 U.S. aren't they ? pretty sound investment,imho.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
around $40.00 U.S. aren't they ? pretty sound investment,imho.
Closer to $60-70 for a Moco Factory Service manual. More information, by far then Haynes or Clymer.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Factory service manuals are about 60$ US, but still are the best investment.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Dave types faster then me. :D

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Over 100.00 beans here,lucky us.:(
Yeah...but you're Canadian. You have.....Geese and that Bacon named after you.

I swear.....give a Canadian an inch, and he'll take 25mm......:lol8

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Yeah...but you're Canadian. You have.....Geese and that Bacon named after you.

I swear.....give a Canadian an inch, and he'll take 25mm......:lol8
geese=yes--bacon=? the metric thing's gettin old. must have somethin else to rib us Canadians with... ( be nice.:D)

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Wha...???? Canadian Bacon!!!

We love you guys........... you gave us Canadian Club!! :D:D

·
Registered
39,490 Posts
Yeah, but they also gave us Celene Dion.... Kinda makes it a wash. :mad:

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
My fire experience tells me while it didn't git hot enough to toast paint it mighta got hot enough to melt wire insulation. might have a look and make sure bundles and solo wire arnt melted to a conductive surface anywhere.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts