Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post on this site. I have a 03 RKC and just received the Lyndall Z brake pads I ordered. I am attempting to replace them my self. I have the service manual the tools and a little know how.
I loosened the Pad Pins like the manual says but I cant seem to the the pads at all loose enough to drop out. I have tried the spacular between the pads and the rotor to seperate them I still won't budge.. Is there something I am missing?

Any help will be greately appreciated.

Harpoon

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Someone around here with the technical knowledge to help will show up. In the meantime, welcome to the most wonderful little HD fan place around. We look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Slip a thin putty knife between the rotor and pad. On the front pull the calipers off and with the old pads still in, spread the pads and force the pistons back in. The rear takes some finagling because of the anti rattle clip. Don't forget to pump the brake pedal before riding!
Scot

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
If the brake fluid reservoir is very full, and there is a lot of wear on the current set of pads, then pushing the pistons back a lot will will raise the fluid level in the reservoir, maybe too much. It could just act like hydraulic lock. Not really very likely, but it could happen.

Prolly just need more muscle, use a big screwdriver, if you can avoid it, don't push on the disk, see if you can get between the back of the pad and the piston. if you have to go in next to the disk, just use the big screwdriver like a wedge, rather than a pry bar, and drive the flat end between the pad and disk.

Don't forget, if you open the reservoir to check the level, then push the pads back, fluid could overflow, brake fluid used to eat paint badly. Prolly not modern paints, but still be careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts