Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone Im new to the forum and new to harleys, my dad was a harley fanatic for his whole life and he left our lifes last summer. He left behind his 2000 Fatboy with around 3500 miles on it. It has been sitting around for the last 6 years with old gas in it. Found out the tank has a little rust in it and the tank liner is peeling off pretty good. I have tried getting alot of it out just with cleaners and gas and diesel, even tried some pea size rocks but didnt get too crazy with them. Iv been looking at the POR 15 tank cleaner but wondering if that is the way to go? Wondering if the acid is gonna do what I want. Thanks!!

·
Poser Member # 99
17,545 Posts
Go to the Forum section on the top line and do some searching. There might be some info there or just do an internet search on gas tank coating's and prep cleaners. I think I seen something on Ebay for Motorcycle tank coatings . Good luck and Welcome to the Forum

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,113 Posts
Could always look on ebay for a replacement in the factory color...

2000 fatboy gas tank | eBay

get them fluids and tires changed before you ride that girl.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks guys, think im gonna try some screws and nuts first then probably that POR 15 kit, Does anyone know if harley davidson sell painted tanks themselves? Thanks

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,113 Posts
Yes you can order tins from HD, not the least expensive route.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i just tried using nuts bolts and screws today and WOW that worked better than I though it would, looks like most of rust and coating is off the inside. flushed it with some diesel, gonna keep doing that trick couple more times and see where that gets me. Should I recoat the inside when im done?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do I have to get the whole coating off the inside or just get the loose stuff and recoat over the stuff that wont come off? I dont want my new coating coming off, I just see a nightmare from that

·
Poser Member # 99
17,545 Posts
I wouldn't have flushed it with Diesel . if your going to recoat you have to get the oil out of the tank . flush with gas a couple of times and recoat and hope for the best the worst that could happen is you'll have to get another tank

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
If you are going to coat the tank, clean it like you've been doing. After you have finished cleaning, flush the tank with acetone, be VERY careful not to get on the outside as it will ruin the paint. Now coat with whatever coating you have found. I personally don't coat my tanks,, unless they are in extremely bad shape. I keep the tanks full of gas, if you have cleaned the tank and removed all loose rust, there is no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im about to coat the inside of tank, looking for some help of how to do it, just pour it in and rotate the tank? How should I handle the holes so they dont get plugged with the liner? thanks anything else would be helpfull also

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Here are a couple videos. I didn't watch them all the way through, but rather, posted them to remind you that YouTube is often a very worthy source for How-To stuff. These are just the first two that came up by searching "Motorcycle Tank Coating." There are quite a few videos on the subject.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
burn the tanks

Hey everyone Im new to the forum and new to harleys, my dad was a harley fanatic for his whole life and he left our lifes last summer. He left behind his 2000 Fatboy with around 3500 miles on it. It has been sitting around for the last 6 years with old gas in it. Found out the tank has a little rust in it and the tank liner is peeling off pretty good. I have tried getting alot of it out just with cleaners and gas and diesel, even tried some pea size rocks but didnt get too crazy with them. Iv been looking at the POR 15 tank cleaner but wondering if that is the way to go? Wondering if the acid is gonna do what I want. Thanks!!
I'm scoop hog im having the same problem the only way I know to clean out the tank is to take the tanks to some one who has an oven to bake out the liner or do what i'm going to do. im going to hang the tanks get a propane torch and torch the tanks till all the paint is off then keep burning till im sure the inside of the tank is burned off as well. I'll have to repaint as well as reinsulate the inside but its better then buying new tanks hope that helps you.

·
Super Moderator
4,282 Posts
Also, for anyone with minor corrosion that is not yet to the degree of a refinish, adding an inline fuel filter caught much more than the filter on the petcock. I have some corrosion in my 97 Heritage and I was clogging up my S&S superE and I just added the $3.00 inline and haven't had an issue. That was 2 years ago.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry for your loss!!! now I bought a Fatboy and they are great bikes and given the mileage I'd rather buy a new tank (hey the bike was free) I 'd spend in to get the bike the way your dad will wanted to be!!!

Could always look on ebay for a replacement in the factory color...

2000 fatboy gas tank | eBay

get them fluids and tires changed before you ride that girl.
Agree!!!

Hey let me know the outcome fellow Fatboyer!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts