Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never owned a motrocycle. I completed the MSF basic course in September 2007 and got my motorcycle license. Now I am looking to buy my first motorcycle. I am 6'1" and about 250 lbs. Most of my friends have told me that I am big enough to handle pretty much any model that Harley makes, although one friend told me I should just get an 883 Sportster and that later we can add the Stage 1 upgrade. However, I have sat on the Sportsters, and they feel small and cramped even the ones with the forward foot controls. Plus the forward foot controls do not make me feel very stable. I really prefer the bikes that have floorboards. Most recently I sat on the new Softail Crossbones, and I really liked it. At first the seat felt a little odd, but after remaining in the seat for a few minutes it felt very comfortable.

I guess I am still a little nervous about buying my first bike and want to choose the right one for me. Any advice would be most welcome.

Thank you.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Welcome to the forum RC. It's a personal choice but I agree that the Sportster is too small for you. The Crossbones is an ultra cool bike that I think you will love. Take it slow at first. Never try to "keep up" with anyone and your skills will improve on their own. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Welcome to the most wonderful HD fan place around. We look forward to hearing from you.

Congratulations on your license. Have you thought about a FatBob or anything else in the Dyna line? That FatBob is one beautiful ride. Softails are always an option.

Oh yes, how about a VRSC? :dance:

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Welcome.
A friend of mine got his license last year and he's 6'2 and 260 lbs.
The only bikes that worked for him were the FLH models.
He purchased a Road King Custom and is very happy with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts