Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Mike, I live in Chico, CA, which is a bit north of Sacramento. I rode motorcycles when I was younger (no Harleys, sadly), then got married, had kids, etc. You know the drill. Now that the kids are older, I'm getting back into the motorcycle fold.

I'm currently shopping for a Harley, the two that have caught my eye so far:

2000 Hertitage Softail
2001 Fat Boy

Both are beautiful and low mileage. I'm hoping to check them out in person Saturday. Any feedback on these models is appreciated!

Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome from central Michigan.

My views on the two bikes you're considering: My first Harley was an '02 Heritage Softail Classic, purchased new. The 88B (balanced) engine was fine. No problems in nearly 30K miles before I sold it. Previous to '02 the 88B engines (both the bikes you're looking at, I think) had problems with the cam bearings. If either of your bikes has had the bearing upgrade done, you're good.

Further: after I sold the FLSTC I worked for a while at a Harley shop as a detailer. I got to ride a lot of different models, and became a fan of the rubber-mount engines as opposed to the balanced. Just less machinery attached to the engine, so less to maintain and/or break.

I just bought a used '07 Street Glide (rubber mount) and am enjoying the heck out of it. The previous owner did a lot of engine work (103-inch SE jugs, ported SE heads, cams and 10.5/1 pistons, with Rinehart duals).

If you get a chance test-ride a Glide before you make a decision. Just my $.02

Above all: Ride Safely. If you can, take a rider safety course.

Howie

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I love my 97 Heritage for a couple hundred miles but now I'm wanting to do longer distance touring. So now I'm looking at possibly a road glide or street glide and maybe an Electra glide.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from central Michigan.

My views on the two bikes you're considering: My first Harley was an '02 Heritage Softail Classic, purchased new. The 88B (balanced) engine was fine. No problems in nearly 30K miles before I sold it. Previous to '02 the 88B engines (both the bikes you're looking at, I think) had problems with the cam bearings. If either of your bikes has had the bearing upgrade done, you're good.

Further: after I sold the FLSTC I worked for a while at a Harley shop as a detailer. I got to ride a lot of different models, and became a fan of the rubber-mount engines as opposed to the balanced. Just less machinery attached to the engine, so less to maintain and/or break.

I just bought a used '07 Street Glide (rubber mount) and am enjoying the heck out of it. The previous owner did a lot of engine work (103-inch SE jugs, ported SE heads, cams and 10.5/1 pistons, with Rinehart duals).

If you get a chance test-ride a Glide before you make a decision. Just my $.02

Above all: Ride Safely. If you can, take a rider safety course.

Howie
Hi Howie,

I appreciate the input! I will be sure to check on the cam bearings. I'm still looking around as well. These are the first 2 that really caught my eye. I do have a friend selling his 2007 road glide, which is really nice. I'm going to check it out as well. He's getting up in age and is on oxygen, so he can't really ride any more. :/

As for safety course, I took one when I used to ride. I was in the Air Force, living on a Navy base, and it was required if you wanted to ride on base. I learned a TON in the 2 day class. I still use the things I learned then when I drive (especially "assume no one sees you"). I may take another one, though. It's been 20+ years now. :)

·
Indian Larry
8,952 Posts
Welcome from north Texas!
The '07 you're looking at has some really good changes!
If you can swing a '07 or '08 I think you'd be ahead for the game!
(just my ¢.02)

·
Old Scooter Tramp
1,367 Posts
Welcome from SW Oklahoma!

I too took the msc when in the Air Force, although it was over 30 years ago, and had a blast doin it.

Like others have said, I would check out the 07 you were talking about, those are nice scoots.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Welcome from SE Oklahoma!!! Lots of great ppl/info on here!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts