Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Thanks for the add I about 30 years ago had a Yamaha Virago lost interest and sold it For some reason about two months ago the big bit and not hard I was going to buy an inexpensive foreign bike but saw an 2007 HD Ultra Classic garage kept 8500 miles and perfect and I mean perfect so I bought it. I am now thinking that I should have went smaller This bike is huge but I am getting there looking for a safety course to take In the meantime I have been picking my spots so not to tax my limited skills Looking back I don’t know why I quit. Be Well and Be Safe Thanks again

·
Registered
914 Posts
You will find that the larger bike actually balances and handles well - it just takes some time to get used to it. Check out YouTube - Ride Like A Pro channel . . . lots of great advice for riding, including bigger bikes. As you mentioned in your post, definitely a great idea to take a MSF rider course. Harley-Davidson offers one as well. Great information that could save your life!

Greetings from Minnesota!

Reactions: Conard and 1/2 Ton

·
Super Moderator
4,361 Posts
Welcome from Virginia

Reactions: Conard

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I also took a long hiatus from the saddle before getting my Ultra. I fully understand your concerns! I agree with DRVMN's statement above. Ride like a Pro is a fantastic site to learn low speed maneuvers. Another very good YT site is MCRIDER. He's a MSF Instructor who post new videos every Friday. Easy to listen and understand. I took the BRC at Riverside Harley, even though many years ago i took the California Highway Patrol's 10 day course. The BRC really helps bring you up to speed on all the new laws and informal changes that have taken place in your absence. Plus its not a bad way to spend a weekend putting around on a little 500. You have the mindset that the instructors, well, just love! Welcome to the Forum!

Reactions: Conard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also took a long hiatus from the saddle before getting my Ultra. I fully understand your concerns! I agree with DRVMN's statement above. Ride like a Pro is a fantastic site to learn low speed maneuvers. Another very good YT site is MCRIDER. He's a MSF Instructor who post new videos every Friday. Easy to listen and understand. I took the BRC at Riverside Harley, even though many years ago i took the California Highway Patrol's 10 day course. The BRC really helps bring you up to speed on all the new laws and informal changes that have taken place in your absence. Plus its not a bad way to spend a weekend putting around on a little 500. You have the mindset that the instructors, well, just love! Welcome to the Forum!
I like how he arranges his posts on his site he has many beginner posts. One thing I have learned from him is to use the clutch more during low speed riding I took like a 30 mile ride yesterday and purposely both taxed my skills and used his methods. Things were better. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I like how he arranges his posts on his site he has many beginner posts. One thing I have learned from him is to use the clutch more during low speed riding I took like a 30 mile ride yesterday and purposely both taxed my skills and used his methods. Things were better. Thanks for your input
I have noticed (around here anyways) that i see very few H.D. riders doing parking lot practice. It shows on the road, at gas stations and its highlighted at dealership parking lots!

I like to go play on a parking lot, at least once a month. I don't set up cones and all. I just use the stall spaces. 15 to 30 minutes of practicing emergency stops, brake & escape and U turns. Slow maneuvering and slow race is a challenge against my wife on her much more nimble Sportster. More often are the times i find a empty lot to play, When just going out for a solo putt. I treat every manhole cover and sometimes just a shaded spot on the roadway as an obstacle (in my mind it may be a charging dog, or an oil slick (I have scars reminding me of prior instants of those )) that i don't want to connect with. I try to wait till the last second to make my move. This may all be imaginative but, i feel it makes me a safer rider.

I see my friends making u turns and i have to shake my head and chuckle. Jerry's voice jumps in my head "So ya got a $30,000.00 bike and don't know how to ride it." That's always fallowed with: "TURN your HEAD" Or the chuckle as a rider duck walks his bike at the gas station? Don't be ashamed of practice!

Yet we all make mistakes! I can attest, a Harley Ultra will NOT take a nap without an audience! (Now you know why i named it "1/2 Ton") :oops:

The thing that got me into watching Ride Like a Pro and McRider was: Shortly after i got my Ultra, i rode to a dealership having a "tent" sale. While there a older couple rode up on Ultra's, the guy showed signs of struggling with his bike, on the uneven parking lot. His wife on the other hand, rolled into the stall, she seemed to turn on a dime within the parking lines and set the bike over on its jiffy stand like the bike was an anatomic extension of her. Smooth as glass! She was in her late 60's about 5' 0" all of 100 lbs. My first thought "I'm not about to put my helmet on until they leave." When they did, she rode that bike like she was dancing a waltz with it. To say i was impressed, is an understatement.

Happy motoring! and may your worst day riding result in nothing more than bruised ego!

Reactions: J CANTRELL

·
American
27,035 Posts
Welcome from Indiana. Can't go wrong with an Ultra!

Reactions: ARIZONA MISFIT
1 - 9 of 9 Posts