Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Asylum Inmate
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up the mancation roll for this year. Looking at rolling New Mexico.

Anyone have knowledge of 9 on the southern border? Looks good but any problems going on with the border being so close? Nor the ranchers have a handle on it?

·
Registered
41,392 Posts
I drove Rt 9 last summer.

No problems encountered, but this was during the day.
Dunno about at night.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Should not be a problem. Did it years ago and was fine. Travel during the day and watch your gas. If you have time go north thru the Gila and skip into Arizona and at Clifton take 191 North. You will not be disappointed!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I concur on HWY 191 also. Excellent ride and the Petrified Forest / Painted Desert is very close. HWY 180 on the New Mexico side, parallels 191 is also excellent.

I also plan on riding Hwy 9 later this spring, please post your experience.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can tell you 191 is great. Last year on mancation I finished the 191 completely. I have rode it end to end.

I am planning on 180 then going into Lordsburg then down to 9 riding across the bottom then starting north. But have not set that part yet we try for 650 per day at least. Mancation is seeing this country on the motorbike.

We eat big breakfast... Gas station sandwiches... And drink dinner. It is about miles, bikes, and the things we see.

Thank you the input gentlemen.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
i can tell you 191 is great. Last year on mancation i finished the 191 completely. I have rode it end to end.

I am planning on 180 then going into lordsburg then down to 9 riding across the bottom then starting north. But have not set that part yet we try for 650 per day at least. Mancation is seeing this country on the motorbike.

We eat big breakfast... Gas station sandwiches... And drink dinner. It is about miles, bikes, and the things we see.

Thank you the input gentlemen.

awesome!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
One more thought, Butler Motorcycle Maps are an excellent source. They rate the roads G1, G2 and G3. With the G1 being the best roads. I just received the New Mexico Map. Last summer I purchased the others. Can't say enough good things about the maps.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I run with Madmaps... same idea with lots of loop rides included.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh, and don't expect every town that shows up on the maps to have gasoline. Two years ago running from north of Santa Fe down to Roswell, I mistakenly believed I had several options to fill up on the run. Ends of I was cutting it pretty close by the time I got to Roswell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I rode route 9 early last summer and loved it. There is a very cool town just accross the border in arizona about 1 mile South of Bisbee. it is called Lowell it is one street and one block long just off the main road. It has a fantastic diner on it and the only motorcycle garage for miles. Several of the storefronts are made up to look like old time motorcycle dealerships. There is a Barney Fife biker patrol car parked at the end of the street. The motorcycle shop is also not to be missed. True character. Thousands of parts hanging off the ceiling.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you gentlemen very helpful

1 - 12 of 12 Posts