Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
H-D Technician
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name's Richard, and I started at the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute about a month ago. I'll be taking the H-D late and early model electives to get my "PHD" certification. Yes, it's the one on TV. Yes, I saw the commercial during a NASCAR race. As trashy and retarded as that might sound, the school's legit, and I'm learning a lot. On that note, I'm married, and no, she wasn't a mail-order bride.

I grew up around Harleys in Dallas, TX. My dad's first Harley was a 1991 Fat Boy that I naturally associated with Terminator 2. Who wouldn't want a Terminator for a dad, right? Over time, he had quite a few bikes including a 50th anniversary Dyna Wide Glide and ended with a Road King.

Last year, I bought the very first Harley of my own: a 2009 VRSCDX Night Rod Special. Prior to that, my only experience actually riding bikes was a '70s era Honda with a small displacement that I broke my foot (in three places) the first day I rode it on Easter weekend of eighth grade. It had a centrifugal clutch, so I had to learn on my V-Rod (one of my friends rode it home from the dealership) in my drive way. It wasn't until after I'd been riding around for a few days, maybe a little more than a week that I took a MSF course.

I'm also an infantryman in the New Mexico Army National Guard. I've been to hurricanes Katrina and Gustav, to the border US-Mexico border, and to Iraq once. I'll have six years this April.

Also, as a final note, the GQ in my name has nothing to do with clothes or magazines. See, it wasn't until we were actually on our way to Iraq that I ever got issued any equipment besides a Kevlar helmet in the National Guard. That was over four years of no TA-50! So, I bought my own and earned the title "gear queer," hence: GQ. My battle buddy was in the same boat, and I became GQ-1, he was GQ-2. And there you have it. That's me in a nut shell.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Whats up Richard. I am happy to welcome another DX owner and thanks for your service.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Good luck in school.
A grunt without TA-50? for 4 years? Who was in charge of that Clusterfoxtrot?
Nevermind I probably know.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome from San Marcos, Tejas.
Gateway to the Hill Country & Devil Backbone.
Gotta love them Wide Glide's

·
Registered
623 Posts
Welcome.....and thanks for helping keep us safe from those friggin looneys

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Welcome your story sounds so familiar never enough equipment. It was the same in 64. Things change and stay the same, amazing.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Howdy, Richard! Welcome to the best lil' corner of the Inner'nets!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts