Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i purchased a chrome aftermarket outer primary cover for my softail standard, and everything mounted up perfect except for when i went to use the stock bolts for the inspection plate, the longer bolts bottomed out, so i looked at it a little closer and the old primary cover had bolt holes all the way through so i could run the bolts to the inner primary also, and its only the two bolts that are supposed to run through to the inner primary, so i talked to the manufacturer and they were going to look into it, so im wondering if its necessary to run the longer bolts into the inner primary or if i can just get shorter bolts and run it like that. not sure of any other options.
thanks

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
Those longer bolts screw into threaded and gasketed towers in the inner primary.
With the cover removed you'll see the towers the screws go in to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay yup they are there but the holes on the primary I bought don't exist. The holes aren't bored through and threaded all the way, the Long bolts just bottom out, so I was wondering if these bolts that go all the way through are necessary or what their main purpose serves to only have two towers there. Thanks

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
I would drill the holes out so the long screws can be used. There are two gaskets about the size of pennies that stick to the ends of those stand off towers that help seal the cover.
It's odd but if those two gaskets are omitted the cover can leak oil.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay thanks schmidty i talked with the manufacturer i purchased it from and they said using small bolts for just the inspection cover would be fine, little sceptical, i also noticed this morning that the old primary where the 2 long bolts go through arent threaded until they hit the inner primary, so there are actually no threads for the long bolts on the outer primary, little concerned if i dont use the long bolts but what would be the worst that would happen, i dont know if it would leak anywhere due to the outer gasket and all the bolts that hold the outer primary on.

·
Banned
71 Posts
okay thanks schmidty i talked with the manufacturer i purchased it from and they said using small bolts for just the inspection cover would be fine, little sceptical, i also noticed this morning that the old primary where the 2 long bolts go through arent threaded until they hit the inner primary, so there are actually no threads for the long bolts on the outer primary, little concerned if i dont use the long bolts but what would be the worst that would happen, i dont know if it would leak anywhere due to the outer gasket and all the bolts that hold the outer primary on.
Clearance drill the two holes and use the longer bolts. Done and done . :)

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
If you didn't put the 2 gaskets on the inner towers when you installed the new cover then don't put the long screws in. The cover will bow inwards without the gaskets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts