Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 09 FXDC and was going to have the dealer put screamin eagle slip ons on the bike. They recommended the V&H slips on with an air kit and said the bike had to be remapped. All of this at a cost of $1200 bucks. They said if I put the screamin eagles on and did not do the air it still needed to be remapped or the bike would not run right. All of this at a cost of $1200 bucks. I have had some buddys tell me that if you just change the mufflers with slip ons and do not mess with the air cleaner that no remapping should have to be done. So just wondering what the case is? Dealer ripping me off or clueless buddies? :) I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Please use the search function and you can read about this in countless threads.

Yes, you can add slip-ons ONLY on an 09 without remapping. You'd benefit from it regardless....

You can also stop in the "New to the Community" section and introduce yourself, and then hang out a bit....

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is why lots of guys suggest doing modifications like this one at a time; pipes first, A/C second. You can get away with no tune or SERT or SERF or PC-III/PC-V (or whatever fuel mgmt. utility you use) if your bike isn't running too lean. You'll know it's running lean if the exhaust pops when decelerating, especially when letting off the gas quickly. If it pops, then go out and get the A/C and have a tune done. If it doesn't pop, and you are happy with the power... then leave it until you get more cash to continue with your performance upgrades. Also, if your engine gets ridiculously hot with the new pipes, a tune will help cool it down by improving the fuel mix.

But, you'll also notice in the forum that most people who do some sort of EFI management modification, whether it be a SERT, PowerCommander, or whatever, notice a significant improvement with their engine and riding experience.

If you notice mild popping (i.e., only every once and a while), then perhaps getting an XiED set would solve the problem. Search Nightrider.com on Google.

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think they call the $1,200 Stage 1 cost "Paying the H-D Tax". It's a sticker shock, but so many people do it because it's worth it.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,240 Posts
Just changed my plugs yesterday, I ran Slip ons and an air cleaner for almost 11k miles before my current set up. Didn't remap, but bought a fuel manager around 8k.

My plugs were white and powdery...running lean, very lean, and hot. Your engine is air cooled, summer is approaching. Remap, at a minimum, is highly recommended.

If you want to save some money, research for some cheaper pipes, put them on yourself as well as the air cleaner, both easy, really easy to do....save alot of $$.

·
Retired Air Force
120 Posts
As an 09, your bike is already running pretty lean and allowing the engine to scavage the exhaust more efficiently will only cause it to run a bit leaner. At the very least, check the plugs before and after the slip-ons and if they start showing the tell-tale signs of running even more lean. I just payed my HD tax...but it was closer to 1.9K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts