Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to the Harley World after buying a 2000 FLHTC, I ran into a little bit of confusing when I researched removing the rear tire for replacement (yes, the blowout at 60mph was an interesting experience that left me breathless and replacing the BVD's).

I had removed the rear wheel of a Goldwing but after reading a few opinions, I was getting conflicting stories and I wanted to make sure I understood. Does anyone know of a video that gives the best "Tire Removal for Dummies" step by step, whether it be YouTube or a DVD i can buy?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
These videos show doing on a hand changer, several of us have bought one of these No-Mar changers, they are TOP quality, and the company is first class to deal with, very personal service, however, I will say that even with the great equipment, changing tires is not easy, and stiffer and stiffer sidewalls makes it even harder.

Anyway, in case these can give you any useful info...

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/video/showcase

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can be handy, but "tire removal from rim" handy...??? Not!!
No, I want to take the tire&rim down to the pro's to replace the tire. I am just trying to save me a few bucks by taking the rim off the bike.

I read that some suggest the mufflers off and some say take the shocks off from the top mounts instead. I am just trying to see what the easiest way to get the rim off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I seem to remember someone saying that there was a set of DVD's out there that did routine maintenance step by step...I wonder whether they include tire changes in that?

Anyone know?:confused:

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I can be handy, but "tire removal from rim" handy...??? Not!!
No, I want to take the tire&rim down to the pro's to replace the tire. I am just trying to save me a few bucks by taking the rim off the bike.

I read that some suggest the mufflers off and some say take the shocks off from the top mounts instead. I am just trying to see what the easiest way to get the rim off.
This is my normal procedure on both the shovelhead and the Suzuki I also have.

First get the bike on some kind of center stand so the rear wheel is off the ground. You can do it off of the sidestand and wedge the rear up, but it's a lot easier to use a center stand. If you don't have a bike lift, you can make a center stand out of about $5 worth of wood. It's only a broad lever.

Then start from the back. Undo the chain or belt adjusters. Undo the axle nut. Slide the axle forwards till the belt or chain can be run off the sprocket. Then run the axle nut right off and try removing the axle.

At this point you should now be able to see if anything gets in the way and needs to be removed.

The reason you may need to remove a muffler or two is because they may be in the way of getting the axle out.

The reason some suggest removing the top shock mounts is that this allows the swingarm to drop down so that the muffler no longer gets in the way of the axle.

On my shovelhead I have to loosen and tilt the rear fender to get the wheel out.

If any of these is a problem on your bike, then which you do is whichever looks easier.

Once you get the axle out you should be able to pull the wheel out backwards.

Be aware though that if you want to remove the shock mounts to release the swingarm you will have to do some jacking or levering to get the damn thing back in again after you get the tire done.

Take pics and post them up so we can see the job, and best of luck.

It's really easy - if a clutz like me can do it :rofl:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts