Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2011 Sportster XL883 and didn't get an owners manual with it and just wanted to ask, what kind of oil brand and weight I should use ?

Thanks, Bruce

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a Sporty for 5 years and put nothing but synthetic every 3000 miles for oil changes and 6000 mles for primary changes and had NO problems. Mine was an '07 and they are very similar. Congratulations on the quickest and most maneuverable bike that Harley builds!! You are going to love it!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
The engine wants 20w50 and or 10w40, temperature dependent. The clutch/primary/transmission wants 20w50. The clutch,etc, must be motorcycle, wet clutch compatible oil. The engine should be motorcycle oil or diesel compatible oil. Most people use the same oil in both. Such as Amsoil motorcycle oil. Mobile one motorcycle oil, or the Harley-Davidson oil.
Three quarts in engine, one quart in clutch.
Order an owners manual, and also a factory service manual, you'll be glad you did. Both can be had at a dealer.
Welcome to the world of Harley-Davidson.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I need to use 20w50 ? Are there any other places to get in other than the dealership ? And thank you for the info on the service manual, because I know nothing about motorcycles.

Thanks, Bruce

·
Registered
712 Posts
So I need to use 20w50 ? Are there any other places to get in other than the dealership ? And thank you for the info on the service manual, because I know nothing about motorcycles.

Thanks, Bruce
You should be able to easily pick up the Mobil 1 20w-50 at almost any auto parts store and most Walmarts. Otherwise, do a quick Google search to turn up other local shops or online retailers.

·
Earth-bound Misfit
607 Posts

Thanks, Bruce
Bruce,

I've seen Mobil 1 V-Twin (20w-50) oil at Wally-World. Some of our local auto parts stores also carry Mobil 1 V-Twin. Id have no problem using M1 in any of my vehicles...2 or 4 wheeled.

You could use regular Mobil 1 15w-50 in the engine BUT NOT in the tranny-primary. Also, use the regular Sportster filter from the H-D dealer...they are reasonably priced and have the correct flow rate and bypass pressure for your Sporty.

BTW, you can get a digital copy of your owners manual on line from H-D for free. You just need to know your VIN.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
While you wait for the manuals to come,( I assume you will order them), you can go to H-D's site and download a copy of the owners manual for free. If you've never had a Harley, you need information about filling the different oils and proper levels. Proper adjustment for primary drive chain, and other service items.
Google up Sportster oil change, Sportster primary oil change, and Sportster primary chain adjustment. There are lots of videos and such to help you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While you wait for the manuals to come,( I assume you will order them), you can go to H-D's site and download a copy of the owners manual for free. If you've never had a Harley, you need information about filling the different oils and proper levels. Proper adjustment for primary drive chain, and other service items.
Google up Sportster oil change, Sportster primary oil change, and Sportster primary chain adjustment. There are lots of videos and such to help you.
Yes Sir, This is my first bike ever. I will order the manuals as soon as I have the money. Thanks everyone for the help. I'm still trying to learn how to ride it.

-Bruce

·
Earth-bound Misfit
607 Posts
Yes Sir, This is my first bike ever...I'm still trying to learn how to ride it.

-Bruce
Congratulations! Welcome to the amazing, exciting, wondrous world of motorcycles...and Sportsters. Hope your learning curve is short and easy. You'll love it. :bike-038:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One other question please. How do you all afford to have them serviced ? I jumped in and bought one without asking any questions, and today I called to see how much it cost to have one serviced and they told me its 300+. Looks like I'll have to put in a little overtime.

-Bruce

·
Registered
795 Posts
Coondog, you can do all the servicing yourself fairly easily. I had an 883 a long time ago and I used 20W-50 oil, H-D oil filter and H-D Sport Trans fluid in the primary/tranny. Get the service manual. I pd 60 bucks for mine at the dealer. 300 bucks is a ripoff. You should be able to DIY for maybe 60 bucks, but not completely sure about what all the Sportster fluids cost these days. The owners manual will show you how to adjust the primary chain and clutch, also important when you service the primary chaincase.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I do almost everything myself. I did not start out that way with my Harley, but used to do it on all of my bikes when I was young and poor. Start off by getting the two recommended manuals. Check the tools and needed fluids. I bet you can get everything you need for far less than 300. The next service will require far less.

My gain is not only cash, but learning the two wheels and everything in between.

If you run into a problem, ping us. Youtube has videos of most of the services as well. Just remember to question Youtube if it is different than the Service Manual.

·
Registered
712 Posts
+1 on everything so far. Also, find a Harbor Freight tools shop. You can pick up a bike lift there for about $100 or less. It has four stop points to allow you to let the bike down to a comfy work level, and loops so you can strap the bike down when you really need to wrench on it. Not to mention picking up tools to get most jobs done for far less than the bigger retail stores.
Be sure to sign up for the mailing list. Good coupons and sales now and then. Plus a lifetime warranty on tools. You can replace with better tools as you get the money down the road.
Also, watch craigslist and ebay for parts as well. Never know what you may find there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
great advise and lots of knowledge being shared. just remember tools are like bikes. you get what you pay for. i can not reccomend harbor freight

·
Registered
177 Posts
One other question please. How do you all afford to have them serviced ? I jumped in and bought one without asking any questions, and today I called to see how much it cost to have one serviced and they told me its 300+. Looks like I'll have to put in a little overtime.

-Bruce
$300. SOUNDS a little steep. Most of us service our own. If you can change the oil you can do the rest of the PM. Get the shop manual and you can do it yourself. Oh yes you can! It ain't rocket science. Plus you will learn a ton about your bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts