Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the start. Not in a big hurry now that I have to order a stator...
Special thanks to Sharley at 1130cc.com for the deal on some slightly used pipes. They are gonna look sweet.

They are D&G 2:1. The collector is not on yet. I'm trying to figure out if I have to fab a mid bracket. The Samson I have is all wrong and the original is missing (I never throw anything away).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Them pipes look real nice on there.Tucked in real good too.
Ya might wanna tie that wire around the handlebars before taking off so Ya do`nt drag it to death.them hemostats might cause some pinching on the butt cheeks too if Ya do`nt move em a bit.:D:D:D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Super Moderator
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was using the hemostats to keep the wires of the stator apart while checking it. I put the battery on the charger because of the stator problem. You are the observant one :D

BTW, the pipes will be parallel, but the rear one is drooping because nothing is tight yet. These things look beefy compared to the old Samson straight pipes.

·
Super Moderator
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I misplaced the original exhaust bracket:

I order one for $20 from bikebandit.com. They told me it would be shipping NEXT Friday!!!!

My local indie shop had a very similar looking one from a different year. For $10, I took it. I figure the worse that can happen is I still have to wait a couple weeks. I think I can make it work though. Probably have to redrill a hole or two and maybe grind an edge. Fortunately it's almost invisible behind the exhaust.

I got the V-Rod back today, so at least I am mobile!

·
Super Moderator
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the missing bracket in the tool box today.

Started fabbing a bracket for the middle. I tool some med gauge barstock and bent it around until I was happy with it. Drilled a hole in each end. Made one square for the carriage bolt and cut a hole into the muffler side of the welded on bracket for the other carriage bolt. I need to drill the bracket on the bike and paint the new one to prevent rust.

Worked out good, I need to drop the pipes to make it easier to route the new regulator wire. Another thread...

Can't do anything until Tuesday or Wednesday when I get back from Houston.

I wish I could have found my camera. The pipes look pretty good on there and the bracket came out all right.

·
Super Moderator
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's alive!!!! Got everything back together. Can't find my stupid camera. These pipes have a unique look and very throaty rumble. I didn't have to rejet yet. It started and ran great.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Go ride.... it's 17* here and windy. I'm tempted though......

·
Super Moderator
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
64 here... rode to Strokers for a Cheeseburger and around Joe Pool Lake ~60 miles.

Everything worked great and it sounds good.

·
Super Moderator
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before and After shots.

Sitting in my parking space at work. Definitley a "fatter" look, but it seems to make the engine look smaller. They are a little loud for my taste. I guess time will tell if I like them or not.

I think I need to add a hole in the rear bracket to pick it up a little more... drags in right turns.

Whatch youse guys think?

Attachments

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I like it, nice bike overall.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That's quite a difference! Looks good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts