Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my Street Bob last July, and wanted to ride it pretty much "stock" for the first season to really get a feel for it [it's my first bike]. 2 weeks ago I had some mods done:

V&H Big Shots staggered, black
S&S Bobber Air Cleaner with K&N Filter
Power Commander 5
Progressive 444 shocks

The difference is NIGHT AND DAY now! The engine totally woke up, sounds thunderous, and just *feels* so much better. More power and still more control. The pipes are LOUD, so loud that I just ordered the quiet baffles to be installed- this should hopefully take a bit of the top end off.

The shocks are great- much smoother than stock parts. I didn't do the front springs yet, will hopefully get to that at the end of the summer.

Really love the look of the black pipes and air cleaner.. much more mellow than all that chrome.

One pic of before and after.. [since i had this done, I blacked out my battery band, rear turn signals, and tail light with plastidip: http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/dyna-general-discussions/89946-plasti-dipped-some-chrome-off-my-street-bob-today.html

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks awesome! Those pipes are perfect for that bike.
Thanks, Ddreamer! I think so too.. the stock pipes were way too much chrome for my tastes, and the bottom pipe covered too much of the back wheel. these are lean and mean, in my opinion.. looking much better.

between the pipes and the air cleaner, a good bit of chrome is now gone. If only i can get the WHOLE front end to be blacked out! I know i can do the handlebars, the trees and the fork lowers, but it's the middle of the fork that I don't believe can be painted / powdercoated / blacked out. shame!

Just ordered black hand levers and a black derby cover also. hoping to get them installed by middle of next week.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,327 Posts
It's taken the classic look of the Super Glide and made it look Super Powerful.

That "heavy" front tire really adds to the effect.

I like it a lot.

Your theme song should be George Harrison's "Dark Horse"

Joe

·
Registered
577 Posts
Real nice job. I love the new look....I went for the 'blacked out look' too. It looks great.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Nice looking ride. Glad to hear about your comments on the shocks, any specific reason you went with the 444 shocks vs 430, etc?

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
"Thunderous" ? I love "Thunderous" ! Cool, glad yer happy with it !

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice looking ride. Glad to hear about your comments on the shocks, any specific reason you went with the 444 shocks vs 430, etc?
The shocks are great. Really smooth, great handling. Honestly I don't know much about shocks and can't tell you why I went with 444 over 430. I thought the 444s were the newest 400 series model and went with those.

I have them set to about 1/3 sag [leaning towards soft] and it seems to be great so far. No complaints. Need to do the front end springs next, but will have to wait until the end of the summer for my wallet to recover first!

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
The main difference as far as I can tell is that the 444 have

"Frequency Sensing Technology (FST) Allows the shocks to sense the frequency of a bump and automatically adjust damping for superior ride quality"

Advertising hype? Maybe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't compare them to any other model of Progressive shocks, but I can compare them to the harley stock shocks, and they are way better.

No matter what shocks you have though, with only a couple inches of travel, if you hit a sick pothole, your ass is gonna feel it!

·
Single Dad
19 Posts
Throw you some forward controls on there and stretch out.. ! Looks great man.. and I bet it does roar. I had to order the quiet baffles for mine too. Just too loud for too long...
GLen

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you want to cover up the tubes you can get a set of tube covers. I know they are out there somewhere just cannot remember where I saw them. I just punched in upper tube covers and came up with these.
[/URL][/IMG] Or something like this
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you want to cover up the tubes you can get a set of tube covers. I know they are out there somewhere just cannot remember where I saw them. I just punched in upper tube covers and came up with these.
[/URL][/IMG] Or something like this
[/URL][/IMG]
Gaiters for 49 mm forks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts