Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 street glide I bought had screaming eagle fake duals. So over the last little bit I put a set of true duals and 3.5 rush mufflers. Now I am getting all kinds of back firing and bike seems lazy off the line. Talked to my guy and he tells me to install a programmer. He has one I can have. I am going to do the cams and computer upgrade of the next winter. So he will give me this till I get that done. He said he will up load it tonight.
So I wanted to know will this programmer he has make a big differance? I just bought the bike over the winter so I never rode it before I changed the pipes so I am not sure if this was a problem from before or this is all something new because of what I did. I also see the air filer cover plastic on the back has been removed. I assume to let more air in correct? I also must say I have no idea what was ever done to the bike before I got it.
Also hard hard is this going to be to install, I assume it just a plug in sort of thing by the sounds of it. where do i find my computer now on my bike..

·
Registered
692 Posts
The 1st thing you need is a service manual. The popping can be from a lean condition or an exhaust leak can cause popping also. The programmer your guy has could be just a piggyback one that plugs into the ECM. The ECM is usually not hard to get to. True duels usually preformed best in a narrow range toward the middle or upper RPM range. A good 2 into 1 exhaust like the thunder header or RB racing has performs through a wide RPM range giving better bottom in and midrange power.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes he did tell me it was a piggy back sort of thing. works in line with the computer. But assume this will fix my problem. I understand the 2 into 1 exhust but I only like the look of the true duals... I know some guys love the other way but I rather lose a little horse power to have to look off both mufflers sticking out the back,,, just like that look

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
06 street glide I bought had screaming eagle fake duals. So over the last little bit I put a set of true duals and 3.5 rush mufflers. Now I am getting all kinds of back firing and bike seems lazy off the line. Talked to my guy and he tells me to install a programmer. He has one I can have. I am going to do the cams and computer upgrade of the next winter. So he will give me this till I get that done. He said he will up load it tonight.
So I wanted to know will this programmer he has make a big differance? I just bought the bike over the winter so I never rode it before I changed the pipes so I am not sure if this was a problem from before or this is all something new because of what I did. I also see the air filer cover plastic on the back has been removed. I assume to let more air in correct? I also must say I have no idea what was ever done to the bike before I got it.
Also hard hard is this going to be to install, I assume it just a plug in sort of thing by the sounds of it. where do i find my computer now on my bike..
More likely a screamin eagle stage 1 cleaner. With the stock one to do that, you have to cut the plastic you can't just take it off. That being said, a stage 1 cleaner and pipes would definitely make the bike pop and ride funny. You could also try xieds to save some money.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts