Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I am new to this forum but not new to motorcycles or Harley Davidson.
I am 45 and have been off any type of motorcycle since my last failed neck operation in 2012.
My Last bike was a 2012 GL1800 :biking: which I loved but could no longer ride.
I have over 12 years under my belt riding many different Harley Davidson's trying to find one that worked with my bad neck and back for the long rides I used to go on. I have over 28 years experience riding all types of motorcycles.
As the years went by and my back got much worse I couldn't ride more than 20 miles without my hands getting so numb I had to palm the throttle to get home.
This is the reason I switched to an import. however after a few failed lower back and neck surgeries I couldn't even get on my 2012 GL 1800 and had to let it go. mainly because I couldn't afford the payments as I was disabled and out of work.
Its been about 21/2 years now and I have been working hard trying to recover some using an electric assist bicycle to help get me somewhat in shape.
yet the last two years have felt like I have been on house arrest because I could only get so far with my E bike.
I finally saved up enough money to buy a 1997 1200 Custom to get me back and fourth to my doctors office and get me on the road if even for only short trips. my back has so many levels that are fused it makes it hard to even get in and out of a car.
getting on a bicycle or a short motorcycle is much easier for me as I just walk over the bike to get on.
So far I have only rode it about 60 miles bringing it home from Miami Florida to Lake Worth I was surprised to find out I only needed to stop once and that was to put fuel in the tiny fuel tank.
I felt like I could have kept going without a break.
I am very surprised about this because I have rode all of the Sportsters I purchased and built up for my wife over the years the last one was a 2006 1200 Custom we purchased new and I went nuts with custom parts for her. out of all the Sportsters I have rode this 1997 has them all beat as far as personal comfort even with my back and neck in worse shape than ever. When I purchased this bike a few days ago I was looking for a cheap bike that I could pay for with cash and one that was in good mechanical shape. I wasn't even considering fit and finish as I knew I would make it my own along the way. so I didn't pay much attention to the seat that was on this bike until I got home after the surprising ride home.
I noticed the seat looks out of place and too large for the bike So I am guessing it must be for a Dyna and the reason for the great ride.
I am just very happy to be able to get on any motorcycle and thankful I found a Harley I can ride. my goal is to keep working on my health and hopefully get back to work one day at some capacity.
Its funny at 45 years old while working hard all my life I would fantasize about the day I didn't have to work my fingers to the bone for a living and do anything I wanted and ride as far as I wanted once I retired.
now that I have been forced into early retirement I cant wait to get back to work,

Attachments

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Looks like a Hd Sundowner seat... Model number should be under seat on the pan...

Welcome from N Cuba...

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Welcome to the forum from N.Y.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Welcome from Apollo, PA...

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Welcome from SE Oklahoma!!! Lots of great ppl/info on here!!!

·
Registered
13,072 Posts
Greetings from the Left Coast. That seat might be the key to riding longer. Ride Safe & Long

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome, I checked my bike just a little closer today since I got it registered and couldn't resist at least taking it around the block a few times.
in the sun light it has Sportster spelled out on the seat. My eye sight is horrible I guess.
while the seat looks out of place. I wouldn't change it for anything.
I had a Sundowner I purchased for my Old Fatboy and it wasn't nearly as comfortable as this seat. perhaps its broken in more. either way I am completely excite that I have something to tinker with and ride when my back allows.
chances are I will be on this forum a lot soaking up as much info as possible.
Thanks again for the warm welcome.

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire

·
Registered
400 Posts
Welcome from Waco, TX. I purchased a Sundowner seat for my Super Glide. I love it, really makes a difference in the amount of time /miles I can ride comfortably. I prefer the look of the low slung stock seat though. Glad you found a bike you can ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Welcome from central Florida.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts