Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new Dunlap Harley MT 90B -16 on the rear. The front is an old and cracking (but good tread) 100 - 90 - 19 on the front. What would be a good tire for the front? Was looking at a K591 or a D401.
Didnt think mixing brands would be a good idea.
Bike is an 86 FXRS-SP SE

·
Just Ride
3,052 Posts

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I have never had any luck with Dunlop tires. Metzler ME880's have always been good tires. They are in the process of replacing them with the new Metzler ME888, which is supposed to get more than twice the miles of the previous ME88's at the same price with nearly identical handling characteristics.

Michelin make the Commander II. It is a new generation tire that like the ME888 is supposed to deliver greatly increased tread mileage with good handling.

I have been running Metzler ME880's for several years on my Dyna. When the rear tire was worn out I installed a Michelin Commander II. My front tire was still in good shape at that time so I didn't replace it. Mixing different brands of tires is not a big deal, though I am not a big fan of mixing radial and bias belted tires on the same bike. I do know people who have ride with a radial on the rear and a bias belted on the front without the world coming to an end.

Have a new Dunlap Harley MT 90B -16 on the rear. The front is an old and cracking (but good tread) 100 - 90 - 19 on the front. What would be a good tire for the front? Was looking at a K591 or a D401.
Didnt think mixing brands would be a good idea.
Bike is an 86 FXRS-SP SE

·
Registered
37,623 Posts
Mixing different brands of tires is not a big deal, though I am not a big fan of mixing radial and bias belted tires on the same bike. I do know people who have ride with a radial on the rear and a bias belted on the front without the world coming to an end.

The Crossbones actually came with a bias ply front tire and a radial rear tire from the factory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts