Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am new to riding, having only rode a friends bike many years ago. I have taken the motorcycle course and was considering a HD (since there are no other bikes, as far as I'm concerned). I really love the RK, and being concerned about safety the ABS option made it even more attractive.

I have rented one and it handled fine, considering it was my first time on such a big bike. I figured I'd get use to the size but after 1 hour my throttle hand started going numb. I have consider I may have had a "death grip", being my first time on the bike, but also have considered what options I have to combat the numbness if indeed I purchase the bike. ISO grips, gel gloves, bar weights and even some after market item that goes inside the handlebars to reduce the vibration. Is there anything else to consider? Do any other HD models have less handlebar vibration?

I'd hate to buy the bike only to be limited to short trips because of the numbing. I don't get numb hands with any other activity but I also got some hand numbing on the bike I used in the training class.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanka!

·
Git 'er done
400 Posts
Relax and enjoy the ride.

A death grip on the throttle (or even with the left hand) can lead to the numbness. You should be able to maintain your speed with your hand held wide open...just 'pushing' against the throttle.

Gel gloves will help a little, but I have found that letting go of the throttle is the best way to keep circulation running through the fingers.

You may want to consider a larger grip that does not allow you to close you hand as much...

bottom line is that you are going to end up on a HD...life is good:woo

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Hey Sail,

Welcome to the forum. I dont think the vibes are causing your problem. You could get larger diameter grips as Hoss pointed out or if that doesnt help much you could swap out the handlebars for a set that doesnt create pressure points in your hands. Most HD's are great for the long haul. Especially the RK.

·
Registered
40,786 Posts
Gloves help in this area too, but is no cure for a deathgrip.

During warmer periods, I will alternate between nomex pilots gloves,

or mechanics gloves.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the quick responses. Waking up to temp's in the mid 30's this morning reminds me that I have a few months to purchase the bike. Probably in the dead of winter in hopes that the economy and the weather will allow HD to be a little flexible with the pricing.

·
Git 'er done
400 Posts
...Probably in the dead of winter in hopes that the economy and the weather will allow HD to be a little flexible with the pricing.
I could be wrong, but the only time I have seen HD be flexible with pricing is when the new model year bikes hit the floor and the dealer is trying to get rid of old model year bikes....

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I could be wrong, but the only time I have seen HD be flexible with pricing is when the new model year bikes hit the floor and the dealer is trying to get rid of old model year bikes....
True and you should check ALL the HD dealers out in a reasonable distance from your AO. Some are just plain friendlier and more willing to please and some just plain add to "stealer" pricing to the MSRP.
Some will go nuts trying to find the color you want some will say this is all your gonna get be happy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have scouted 5 dealerships so far and one stands out. Another is a close second. Two others make you feel like a number and they are the fancy places that probably have a much higher overhead. I like a friendly dealer that operates out of a place that looks like a cycle dealership, not like a store on Rodeo Drive.

You are correct, Hoss, they are rarely flexible with pricing. I figure if I got a couple of add-ons and the 1,000 mile service thrown in I'd be doing ok.

Becoming a rider is about as far from my prior hobby that one can get. I sailed the Chesapeake Bay for the last 20 years and single handed my 38 footer. It's not a switch in hobbies you see everyday. Anyway, it is exciting to get involved in a new adventure/hobby after having mastered another for many years. I thought I was supposed to become more risk adverse with age!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Check your PM, perhaps you might be interested.

TIA,
John

Thank you for the quick responses. Waking up to temp's in the mid 30's this morning reminds me that I have a few months to purchase the bike. Probably in the dead of winter in hopes that the economy and the weather will allow HD to be a little flexible with the pricing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sail, I actually have a disability in my right hand that has my hand going numb after 10 min. 2 weeks ago I got the 09 FLHRC with cruise control. The 09's are fly by wire throttle, so digital cruise is great. I can set the speed and drop my right hand now knowing a tap of the brake will dis-engage the system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I'm knew here, but not to bikes. Although it's been so long since I owned one I probably classify as new.
Twenty years ago I did a lot of riding then got into boating.
Now it seems its time to get back to riding.
I hope to pick up lots of info from these forums and will contribute whenever I have something of value to say...guess you may not hear from me often :dave

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome, iblookin!

I just sold my boat in the spring after 20+ years also! I figured I needed a new hobby.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Welcome iblookin,

Make that three that went from boating to riding. It seems they compete for the same exact time frame and my bike wins out everytime!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Sail and EZE.
I still have my boat...32' Regal with twin 454's.
Just figured it was time for a change. Used to ride a KZ 1000 and thought I'd move up to a nice Ultra Glide.
Thanks again for the hello's

·
Registered
7 Posts
SAIL,
I have the 2009 FLHRC. Never experienced the handlebar vibration you're talking about. I did in my '04 1200XLC.

Anyway, the '09 RK Classic has cruise control, so you can ride without having to grip the throttle for a long time if on the highway. I personally find the throttle on this bike is easier to turn (less spring loaded) than other bikes. Part of that is because its all electronic (no throttle cables/pullies).

Anyway, hope that helps. I love my RKC, so I highly recommend... Time to go buy some more chrome stuff...

·
Bikeless....for now!
5,111 Posts
Had the same problem with numbness in my throttle hand but after i was comfortable riding the the RK i've learned to ease up on gripping the grip so tight. When highway riding i use the cruise and when on back roads and twistys i've learned that when i start to feel the tingle i just drop my arm and exercise my hand a bit(wiggle fingers around, clench-unclench fist) gets the blood circulating!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts