Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question went out riding around the block just to get confidence up again, and decided to try something else. In the riders edged they stress using the clutch which I am trying to get used to mostly from stop signs so I don't stall it and get ran over. Also watching some on line videos they talked about using the rear brake in my class they stressed using both. Question is when is it ok to use just the rear brake. Is it something I need to use when making turns in conjunction with the clutch.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
I use just the rear brake when I'm making slow turns. Using just the rear brake ensures that the front wheel won't lock up on you and cause the bike to tip over. Allows you to keep control of the front wheel to keep you upright. Ride safe. Enjoy.

"Whatever it is, it's better in the wind"

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Slow maneuvering or slow stopping use the rear brake. Normal stopping and starting use both. Try not to use the front brake moving the bike around with your feet as it can go high side on you in a heartbeat. Just relax and enjoy.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Please buy the "Ride Like a Pro " videos.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Slow maneuvering or slow stopping use the rear brake. Normal stopping and starting use both. Try not to use the front brake moving the bike around with your feet as it can go high side on you in a heartbeat. Just relax and enjoy.
Maybe I'm missing something but how do not use the front brake if you are using your feet to move the bike? If your feet are on the ground moving the bike it means your right foot isn't on the rear brake pedal.

Beyond that I use both brakes all the time, adjusting pressure on either as needed depending on what I'm doing. It keeps me in the habit of using both without having to think about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts