Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gonna be looking for my first Harley. I have raced motocross my whole life so I am not new to riding just new to riding a Harley. I am 6'3 230 lbs and I have 8,000 to spend on a bike. A little help would be great as I am new to this. So maybe what to look for when buying and what kind of bikes to look at? Thank you Ryan

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
What kind of riding do you plan on doing . . . touring/trips, in town/commuting, weekend rides for a couple hours, passenger, etc. Are you looking for speed and performance, a bike that you can modify (intake, exhaust, engine)?

Start with a visit to your local Harley-Davidson dealership and sit on some bikes and see what feels good and a nice fit. Not sure if you are in a warm climate right now, but take some bikes for a test ride. You will know when you find the right bike for you. I am 6'2" and 215 pounds. My wife's first Harley was a Street 750, which was way too small for my frame. She now has a Forty-Eight, which is perfect for her, not so much for me. I ride an Ultra Limited and love it.

Good luck with your search.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,897 Posts
What kind of riding do you plan on doing . . . touring/trips, in town/commuting, weekend rides for a couple hours, passenger, etc. Are you looking for speed and performance, a bike that you can modify (intake, exhaust, engine)?

Start with a visit to your local Harley-Davidson dealership and sit on some bikes and see what feels good and a nice fit. Not sure if you are in a warm climate right now, but take some bikes for a test ride. You will know when you find the right bike for you. I am 6'2" and 215 pounds. My wife's first Harley was a Street 750, which was way too small for my frame. She now has a Forty-Eight, which is perfect for her, not so much for me. I ride an Ultra Limited and love it.

Good luck with your search.
This.

I would add though with any bike you can make small adjustments to seat, bars, move/add pegs, etc. So if a bike is "perfect except..." you can most likely make it 100% perfect.

·
V-Twin Junkie
539 Posts
Depends on what you like in a bike. Definitely ride the following bikes:

1200 Sportster
Lowrider
Softail Slim
Fat Bob

Some of those may be outside your finances, but used Lowriders show up all the time for $9-10K, so you can probably get close.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanna thank everybody for replying to my questions. They are all very helpful. I'm mostly gonna be riding around town and occasionally a couple hour trip here and there to the coast. Most likely gonna try and look for a bike with some speed and style. I really like the look of apes, forward controls and a lowered bike. But we will see. I will keep all your thoughts and ideas in my head when I am looking. Also I will post on here periodically with some updates and see how everyone is doing. Happy New Year. Thank you Ryan

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,893 Posts
In light of your last post, I would say the best one for you is the blue one. Or white. White is good, too. Especially if it’s pearl white. But the blue one is quicker!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought my first Harley last August at age 66 wanted to start with the Harley I always lusted for, wish I would have done it sooner but oh well. Found this 03' jewel from a private seller paid $5200 lots of great deals out there on used bikes.For me the Boy was a good start added some used bags for a little storage. I can cruise all over town and for shorter highway trips I put on my quick detach windshield.

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
23,844 Posts
I am gonna be looking for my first Harley. I have raced motocross my whole life so I am not new to riding just new to riding a Harley. I am 6'3 230 lbs and I have 8,000 to spend on a bike. A little help would be great as I am new to this. So maybe what to look for when buying and what kind of bikes to look at? Thank you Ryan
Well you told us how big you are and how much you have to spend, so how old are you ... that's a factor !

·
weird member
2,528 Posts
The key is finding one that feels right for you. You can modify anything to suit your needs from there. People have even modified Sportsters for more touring comfort, though that's probably going from a bike meant for one extreme to the polar opposite of that.

If you're looking used, gotta feel the difference between Softail and Dyna, FX and FL, the "small" big twins vs the touring bikes and even the difference between a Road King and a full bagger like an SG or RG. Take a Sportster for a ride and see how that feels.

Of course, everyone knows the best is a red Softail Custom/Standard. With $8,000 to spend, you can't go wrong with a low miles, used Evo big twin. You can get one in running condition from $4-6,000 and still have at least $2,000 to spend on modifications. Plus, if you plan to do your own wrenching, it doesn't get much easier and simpler than an Evo. Though, I might also be a little biased...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks sardonicus87. I live in oregon and yes I am buying used. There is quite a few dyna low riders from 6-8k and road king's around the same. Its hard for me to really say what I think is wrong and right haha. That's why I am asking Harley riders for there opinions. Thanks to everyone that has helped out. This is all good info and suggestions.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts