Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider and have found that I’m too short (I’m 4’11”) for 2 wheels. My husband wants me to buy a Harley Davidson so he suggested a trike. He thinks I’ll feel more comfortable on it. I feel the same as well. What are the freewheeler and tri glide differences? What do y’all suggest/recommend. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Don't know much about the Trikes though, sorry.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,113 Posts
Welcome...

Bells & whistles and difference in comfort and pricing. Have a look on the MOCO site.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
American
26,703 Posts
Welcome from Indiana.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Don't know much about the Trikes though, sorry.
I am a new rider and have found that I’m too short (I’m 4’11”) for 2 wheels. My husband wants me to buy a Harley Davidson so he suggested a trike. He thinks I’ll feel more comfortable on it. I feel the same as well. What are the freewheeler and tri glide differences? What do y’all suggest/recommend. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having owned a lot of different bikes over the last 50 or so years I found the tri-glide to be the best/worst of the lot. My wife and I bought our first Harley as a 50th. Wedding anniversary present to ourselves. One of the most comfortable bikes we ever traveled on. A few years later and we decided to try the trike figuring it would be easier for us oldsters to manage two up and loaded with luggage. It was to a degree but the rear suspension was terrible in our estimation, getting it around corners in the Twisties was a lot a work (vs the easy leans of two wheels) and I always had the feeling it was going to tip over just like the tricycles you had when you were a kid. We got rid of ours and went back to an Electra glide after one season. So no, I would not recommend the trike. The free wheeler is, I believe, a lot lighter and supposedly has different suspension. If your riding solo i'd take one of those for a ride and see how you like it. It won't have all the bells and whistles like a tri
glide but you may just like it.

Hope you find lots of enjoyment
In riding. The Harley folks you meet along the way are a great bunch.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
My sister in law owns a freewheeler. I own a trike. We go on alot of long rides. Multistate. The triglide is alot more comfortable and you'll get less tried. It also has a nice stereo which the freewheeler does not. She is looking into buying a triglide now. So it depends on the type of riding you'll be doing.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Greetings from Left Coast. Trike might be the way to go but being short in stature may not have enough length in your arms or strength. Go to dealer try sitting on both. May even look into a Sporty Trike conversion. Two ladies here have them and love them. Good Luck

·
Flats where its at
35 Posts
Welcome...

Bells & whistles and difference in comfort and pricing. Have a look on the MOCO site.

depends on the year/ type/cc/so many other things try em all on fer size see what u like ,,, then decide!!! btw im guessing it was a sportster you couldnt fit they sit so hi should try a glide they sit much lower.... if ya want 2 wheels; ifin ya really want / like 3 wheels, well then, its a whole diff world...

·
Registered
103 Posts
My wife is height impaired to a point and she found a perfect fit in a Deluxe(FLSTN) I've slowly been adding accessories for her because she gets a little jealous of my Ultra but its just too much for her so after bags, a trunk, soft lowers on the engine guard and other blingy things I'm going to add a fairing to the front. She's excited about that because as I've mentioned to her many times, she's not going to get another fit like she does with that bike. as always though the best advice has been given. You have to try them on for size and comfort.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Welcome to the Group I am a fellow owner of a Tri Glide ,from Great Britain any how the first thing owning a 3 wheel your wife will notice is the handling if she has ridden any two wheeler tell her to forget everything ......
When I first got mine I kept wanting to put my feet down when I stopped , you cant lean into any bend and steering is a mixture of push pull on the bars , after a couple of hours it just become second nature .
Comfort I have no problem with but I did add a driver back rest for longer journeys due to an old back injury cant say I have been on a long long journey but the one's I have been able to its proved really helpful .
Personally I really love the trike but you are restricted in ways a solo isn't ....... stuck in traffic as you cant squeeze between the lines of cars is the biggest restriction well for me it is ...
But apart from that I absolutely love it and owning one is a read head turner in this country anyway because not many people won them unlike any other Harley model .

·
Flats where its at
35 Posts
ever ride your trike on 2 wheels ?????? counter-steer in a turn n accelerate... its a kick!!! but be careful...... dont flip it mines lighter n yours so easy for me to do mines a 1939

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania! My wife is a fairly new rider and loves her Freewheeler.

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Welcome from Arizona. I’ve had a Tri Glide now since 2014.
As far as cornering I can keep up with any 2 wheelers.
As far has turning yeah it a little harder but if you get the extended front end it’s a big difference.
I’m used to it now so it’s better.
The smaller HD trike is lighter and see a lot of girls on them an a few guys also.
You can buy after market radio and things for the smaller trike.
Take them for a ride a see for your self .
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Welcome from Arizona. I’ve had a Tri Glide now since 2014.
As far as cornering I can keep up with any 2 wheelers.
As far has turning yeah it a little harder but if you get the extended front end it’s a big difference.
I’m used to it now so it’s better.
The smaller HD trike is lighter and see a lot of girls on them an a few guys also.
You can buy after market radio and things for the smaller trike.
Take them for a ride a see for your self .
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never knew you had a triglide , think my mind must be slipping

1 - 20 of 24 Posts