Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new rider. Just bought a 97 Harley Sportster with 4700 miles. It's gorgeous, but the clutch is too tight for me. I tried strengthening my grip through exercising, but still too hard for me to use.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,050 Posts
Harley has the parts and they are also available in the aftermarket. There is a lever with a different bend to it. There is also a kit that can be installed at the transmission end of the cable for better leverage.

On a bike with some age on it, simply making sure the cable is thoroughly lubricated properly or even installing a new clutch cable can be the most cost-effective way to reducing clutch effort.

And don't forget your Wheaties! :nod

Oh--and welcome to the forum from Louisiana!

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Welcome to the forum Cindy. This link is for one of the many different kinds of clutch assist devices. Sportster 1994 2013 Big Twin Easy Pull Clutch | eBay
You can do a google or ebay search for ez pull or clutch assist.
Also several companies make "reduced reach" levers that may help. A well lubricated cable and proper clutch adjustment also helps.

Looks like Silverback and I were typing at the same time!

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Welcome Cindy

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome to the forum from New Hampshire

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey

·
237 Posts
Welcome from Iowa.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Plenty of good folks and good information here.

I would definitely check the proper tension and lubrication of the clutch, cable & lever. A 97 sportster with only 4700 miles, I would bet that it has been sitting for a while.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts