Harley Davidson Forums banner

New seat made a lot of difference

5K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  stinkboater 
#1 ·
My 14 ultra had me a little to crowded forward. I also felt the seat wasn't breaking in and wasn't comfortable. I switched to the hammock seat and what a difference. Moving back changed my foot position and gave me a better feel. The seat is comfortable as well. If you are tall give the Hammock a try.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
Ric, I was drooling over the Ultra for a while. The wife and I made a trip to New Orleans back in July. I took advantage and rented an Ultra from the Harley shop there. I felt the same way. We both hated the seat. I stopped drooling over the Ultra and changed my desire to the Road Glide when the new ones came out. Proud owner now, lol.

#5 ·
Yep. I also have the Hammock seat. It doesn't really move you back, it just raises you. Which is what I needed being 6'6". Damned expensive seat, but has been worth every penny for me!

#6 ·
I bought the Hammock also. Don't care for being lifted but the rest of it for the rider is great. However for the wife, she is why we were looking for a better seat, it did absolutely nothing for her comfort. For as much as this thing cost you would think there would be more benefit for the passenger also.

#7 ·
I get where your coming from, but, remember, we all have different butts. How do they design a seat that's comfy for to every one? 10 guys try riding the same bike, I bet you get at least 5 or 6 different opinions. The issue with seats is cost and being able to try them before laying out the cash. Some seats you can try others good luck. Hope you guys find something that works.

#11 ·
I paid $480 for the Ultimate Low Boy with back rest. Worth every penny. The stock seat is chitty.

Ronnie

#13 ·
just got mine back from the local guy that does seats for the bikers around here - first I road over he took measurements listened - decided to move me back 2 inches (we also adjusted the stock harley back rest mechanism back 2 inches to match new seat) he decided to leave the overall seat height alone but built up the seat sides in rider area with many layers of diff density foam to put lots of support under my legs which takes presure off my butt - he did nothing to pass area which girlfriend likes ok. he made a new like kind cover with fancy stiching. I like it very much - very comfortable - it took 3 weeks cost $300

#16 ·
Don't get the Hammock then. It will raise you up and bring you back maybe an inch. Your dealer probably has a demo seat section which is what sold me on it to begin with. I tried every seat they had and naturally, my buns and body liked the most expensive one. I don't regret it though!

Look into their Tallboy seat instead. It's supposed to move you back 2 or 3 inches without raising you up, but it did little for my long legs. My knees still felt like they were up by my ears.

#17 ·
I bought the Sundowner for my SG. But like the mentioned about the hammock it I raised me up a little. Not sure how much but it is enough that my taller windshield I put on is not as effective now. Definitely more comfortable on the butt for rider and passenger.

#19 ·
I can't help but disagree about some statements that the factory seats are a pile of junk. One seat will not fit all people and just because it does not fit you does not mean it is crap. Rode my 2014 Ultra almost 1200 miles this past Sat/Sunday without any problems. ALOT of people never change their seats and are fine, ALOT of people do change their seats because the were not. My handlebars need to reach a bit closer to fit me better but I would hardly call them crap. I'm sorry about the rant but it seems like every time someone has a fitment issue it is because it's "chitty". Over the years I have used different seat manufacturers on different bikes, some with success, some not. It can be an expensive experiment to find what works best for you in the long run.

#22 ·
I just bought a mustang wide tripper with the driver backrest and I absolutely love it! Best money I've spent since changing my bars. It moves you down and back and is more narrow where you put your feet down. Even with a bum hip I feel a hundred times more comfortable.

#25 ·
I always used Bill Mayer on my BMWs and never had a bad one. He uses the OEM seat pans and takes your weight, inseam, hot spots and pictures of you standing/siting into consideration when building. Foam density for different weights have a lot to do with a comfortable seat for long distance riding. A hour here and two hours there on a OEM seat is ok but for long distance travel a custom for me is the only way to go. I took the Sundowner heated seat for my HDUL and had it re-done. Leather is always my preference. Had it raised about one and a haft inches. It is great. Went through hell finding the seat manufacture for HD to get new switches for the rebuild. They get destroyed when they are removed from the original seat cover. I am jealous of anyone that can use the OEM seat and I don't think there crap I have lots of friends that love the OEM stock. Do lots of long distance rides and there is nothing worse than pain on a long haul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.