Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My name is Phillip and I was recently "given" an 88 Sportster 1200. I'm gonna do a bit of a restoration on her myself with a little help from some buddies, some manuals, and lots of reading here... So thanks in advance for your help and I'm looking forward to meeting some of you soon...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Plenty of good folks and good information here.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome to the forum from New Hampshire

·
Registered
280 Posts
Welcome, sounds like a great project

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
She run?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome guys.
Well, good news.... the hard way.
I got the carb rebuilt, or so I thought. Put some gas to it and it pissed out the overflow and filled up the float bowl. Shoot!! After I cleaned up the mess I decided there was enough fuel left to try and fire the bike up and see if she would run. Choke out and start button... Carb fart. Start button again and she fires up and in 20 seconds the idle starts to go up quickly, choke all the way in and she idles like from the factory. I was amazed. Sounds real good with no weird clanging, banging, or metal on metal sounds as far as I can tell.
So I was excited that the bike ran after five years of sitting but a little butt hurt that the carb rebuild didn't go well. Upon taking the carb back apart I discovered that the float shut off needle rubber is off center, WTF. Why and how I didn't see that when I put it on is beyond me. So I've got a new one now and am just waiting till the weekend to see if that was the problem so I can remount the carb and try and run her again....

·
Banned
71 Posts
I got the carb rebuilt, or so I thought. Put some gas to it and it pissed out the overflow and filled up the float bowl. Shoot!! After I cleaned up the mess I decided there was enough fuel left to try and fire the bike up and see if she would run. Choke out and start button... Carb fart. Start button again and she fires up and in 20 seconds the idle starts to go up quickly, choke all the way in and she idles like from the factory. I was amazed. Sounds real good with no weird clanging, banging, or metal on metal sounds as far as I can tell.
So I was excited that the bike ran after five years of sitting but a little butt hurt that the carb rebuild didn't go well. Upon taking the carb back apart I discovered that the float shut off needle rubber is off center, WTF. Why and how I didn't see that when I put it on is beyond me. So I've got a new one now and am just waiting till the weekend to see if that was the problem so I can remount the carb and try and run her again....
Sounds like a winner all the way around... :thumbsup

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

Some good news right there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not gonna lie, I'm like a kid at Christmas. Really excited to get my hands dirty tearing this bike down and bringing her back to the road with a bit of my style to make it mine. The motor was the first major obstacle now im gonna give the tranny a try just to see if she will drive forward a little bit. Then its tear down time and paint and rebuilding the forks, master cylinders, calipers n such. Gonna need plenty of direction and reading my manual but I love these kind of projects.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
Welcome from eden nc and we like to see projects. ..so keep us up to date on what you are doing! Have fun and good luck

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Welcome from Kansas
Looking forward to following the rebuild

·
Registered
594 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Oklahoma; Biohazard29. Congratulations on your new Sporty, Brother. Great folks here and tons of technical information to search thru.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts