Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I resently resently replaced my stator and voltage regulator on my 08' Roadglide cause my regulator was bad. My battery is about three years old and after I replaced the regulator and stator volts were at 14 for about a month then today I noticed they dropped back to 11.5
Could my battery be bad now ?

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,113 Posts
Did you ever have either battery properly load tested?

Check all of your connections you may have something loose in the battery box.

What steps did you use to arrive at the conclusion the Stator and Reg were bad?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last month I replaced regulator because it went out. I was told by three Harley mechanics that when you replace either the state or regulator you replace both at the same time.

I just checked regulator and seems to still be good no popped diods showing trough the back. Battery says 12.3 while sitting and running. While bike was running I disconnected the regulator and put volt meter on each leg of the stator pug and on my 50volt stator each leg measures about 11 volts and I think it should say about 16 correct ?
If that's the case not sure what would cause a brad new stator to go out like that in a month.
Not sure what else it could be.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't replace the rotor cause no magnets have shifted and no gauges out of the magnets so figured it was ok still bike is only 5 years old. Could my problem be the rotor? The stock stator was a 40 the new one from Harley is a 50 not sure if rotors are made to match and that's the problem or not? Any and all help is appreciated thank you.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Why did a bad regulator result in stator replacement?

Bad battery would be a serious coincidence. Sure everything is tight and clean?

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Last month I replaced regulator because it went out. I was told by three Harley mechanics that when you replace either the state or regulator you replace both at the same time.

I just checked regulator and seems to still be good no popped diods showing trough the back. Battery says 12.3 while sitting and running. While bike was running I disconnected the regulator and put volt meter on each leg of the stator pug and on my 50volt stator each leg measures about 11 volts and I think it should say about 16 correct ?
If that's the case not sure what would cause a brad new stator to go out like that in a month.
Not sure what else it could be.
I see why now.

Running you should see 14 and change. 12.3, something's wrong and it ain't the battery. You should show that or more with it turned off.

·
Retired citizen
23,198 Posts
Output at the stator plug should be 18-20 volts AC per 1000 rpm.
The rotor splines can strip out allowing the rotor to coast on the crank shaft. That would result in low output voltage.
I test visually good appearing rotors by setting them on my metal work bench. If I can pull the rotor straight up off the bench with my pinky finger the magnets are weak.

·
Retired citizen
23,198 Posts
Did you buy a 3 phase stator ? 3 pins or 2 at the plug ?

·
Just Ride
3,204 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Even with a weak battery you should see upwards of 14 while its running if the charging system is working properly, I think. But, I defer to SCHMIDTYS.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What if the three year old battery wasn't taking a charge all of a sudden for some reason? Going to run it down to Harley to have it load tested. If not guess ill charge the battery back up and ride it down to the dealership ad pay the $55.00 to have them diagnose the culprit. Keep ya posted. Thanks for the input so far. I'm thinking rotor if battery test fine, considering stator and regulator were just replaced a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While the bike is running the battery only show's 12.3 took it to the dealer and battery load tested good. Running diagnostic on the charging system right now to let me know the exact problem. Maybe a bad ground somewhere, battery terminals are tight.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
While the bike is running the battery only show's 12.3 took it to the dealer and battery load tested good. Running diagnostic on the charging system right now to let me know the exact problem. Maybe a bad ground somewhere, battery terminals are tight.
Now you're getting somewhere. Let us know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First off I wanna thank everyone who read this post and everyone that commented. Sites like this are awesome. Hopefully this post will help another fellow rider in the future.

The culprit was the flip up latch that holds the wires into the voltage regulator on the regulator side came loose therefor causing the c shaped pin to open up and not make contact with the regulator. Fix was bend the c shaped pin closed and slide it back onto the regulator. Diagnose and fixed for $20.00 from the local dealership. I'm known by a first name basis there after building my bike.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
:thumb

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have an 08 E-Glide and having intermittent charging issues...as you stated...

..... "culprit was the flip up latch that holds the wires into the voltage regulator on the regulator side came loose therefor causing the c shaped pin to open up and not make contact with the regulator. Fix was bend the c shaped pin closed and slide it back onto the regulator. Diagnose and fixed for $20.00 from the local dealership. I'm known by a first name basis there after building my bike. ...what is this?

I have had my regulator off and noticed no such flip latch

1 - 18 of 18 Posts