Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just broke 10,000 miles on my SG this past weekend. I was looking at the rear tire on at the last stop and it looks pretty thin in the middle. So I guess I'm due for a new rear tire.
I've heard a lot about the Michelin Commander II tire and was thinking that is what I would mostly like to go with. Add in also that they want $250 for a new Dunlop at the dealership and I can get the Michellin for $190 shipped.
But the dealer is saying that they suggest the Dunlop. Are they just trying to sell me a tire or is there really something to that? Also, are they going to charge me more to change it if I bring in the Michelin. The going rate in $70 to change the rear.

thanks for any insight on what to do

·
Registered
623 Posts
They carry Dunlops - so they want to sell you Dunlops. If you want to go with Mich's go ahead. Take it to an independent to have the tire changed I'm sure you can find one to do it for less than $70. Better yet take off the wheel and take it in for the tire change if you are capable of doing so. I believe Cycle Gear charges around $25 if you bring the wheel in.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I . . . Also, are they going to charge me more to change it if I bring in the Michelin . . .
Every dealership around here tacks on added costs if you supply the tire. It is their way of making it a bigger PITA for you. It ends op coming out about the same as if you bought the tires from them. Funny how that is, isn't it?

You can definitely save money by buying the tires online if you can find the right price on mounting them. The only consideration is the warranty. If you had any issues with the tire, you'd be on the hook for the removal and re-installation charges. The dealerships around here will handle all of that if you buy the tires through them and have them installed. That's some expensive insurance though.

I installed the Michelin Commander 2s on my Heritage. I really liked the performance of them. I didn't care for the look much, but they rode quite a bit better than the Dunlops, IMO.

I have new Dunlops on the Electra Glide I just got. It'll be a year to before I need tires again. I may try the Metzlers. I rode a bike with those on it, and I thought they rode pretty good too - better than the Dunlops.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I'm going through this very same problem... only thing is I've made a decision to stay with the Dunlops. I've done some reading, I am sure there are better tires.. but dollars aside, I got caught in a heavy rain storm, one thing that sold me was the way the bike felt glued to that road.. 60 mph, heavy rain that machine was stuck to the road.. Yup gonna probably go through a rear tire every 7,000 but I like being safe.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I'm going through this very same problem... only thing is I've made a decision to stay with the Dunlops. I've done some reading, I am sure there are better tires.. but dollars aside, I got caught in a heavy rain storm, one thing that sold me was the way the bike felt glued to that road.. 60 mph, heavy rain that machine was stuck to the road.. Yup gonna probably go through a rear tire every 7,000 but I like being safe.
I've got 11k on my stock Dunlops and they gotta have half the tread left, Gold. You doing burnout competitions?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I've got 11k on my stock Dunlops and they gotta have half the tread left, Gold. You doing burnout competitions?
You ride "like old people f$%^". Do you know that, Chief?:rollin

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got 20,000 miles on my stock Dunlops on a 2010 Road King. Both front and rear wore the same. I think the rear wears so much better than previous Dunlop tires is the new tread compound - harder in the center and softer on the sides. The non Harley direct replacement for these are the American Eagle made by Dunlop. Same tire without the Harley logo and .much cheaper because you don't have to buy them from a Harley Dealer. They handle and stick to the road very good.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
You ride "like old people f$%^". Do you know that, Chief?:rollin

That explains why that old lady in McDonalds had her eye on em....:rollin

I don't beat her, but I'm a bit heavy on the throttle sometimes, not enough to peel that kind of rubber off.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,355 Posts
Get a tire gauge and check that tire. You may be surprised how much rubber is left. Unless you've been doing burnouts, that ain't much mileage for that bike and tire. I changed mine out at 27K and still had some riding left on them.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I just broke 10,000 miles on my SG this past weekend. I was looking at the rear tire on at the last stop and it looks pretty thin in the middle. So I guess I'm due for a new rear tire.
I've heard a lot about the Michelin Commander II tire and was thinking that is what I would mostly like to go with.
Just a heads up.
The Commander II 18" front tire for the Street Glide has just come out. I have one on order that will hopefully ship this week. Love the rear so far.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to take the bike in for the 10K service and will have the guys look at it, but when I looked at it yesterday it looked pretty slick in the middle. I have not been doing any burnouts with it at all. It had 5K on the bike when I got it and in the 5K i've put on it, I have only spun the tire once on purpose and it was just a little. Maybe I looked at it wrong though. I will check again this evening, plus i'm taking it to the dealer after work.
I think I'm just going to go with the HD Dunlop this time. The bike is scheduled for some tuning and the 10K service Wednesday and I don't have time to get the Michelin in time to take it.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
I got 12.5k on both the stockers and american elites on my 10. Everyone i talked to said that engine breaking can wear the rear more then clutch in and using your brakes. I figure thats probably me. I engine brake all the time and have a heavy right hand some times as well. Thats probably why i didnt nesd brakes til 25k

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I got 12.5k on both the stockers and american elites on my 10. Everyone i talked to said that engine breaking can wear the rear more then clutch in and using your brakes. I figure thats probably me. I engine brake all the time and have a heavy right hand some times as well. Thats probably why i didnt nesd brakes til 25k

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thats me, I engine brake as much as possible.. I'd rather change pads, I can do that myself... 13K brakes look new. :think

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for anyone interested... amazon.com has the michelin commander II in the SG sizes for $296.86 (thats for both the front and rear) with free 5-8 day shipping.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Thats me, I engine brake as much as possible.. I'd rather change pads, I can do that myself... 13K brakes look new. :think
Me too.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Plus, I prefer to keep my engine under load.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Plus, I prefer to keep my engine under load.
Plus it sounds cool.

I hear the Metzler 888 is replacing 880. Tires have progressed over the years, so I'm not as up to date anymore. Dunlops have always been junk but maybe they are better now since the last pair I had from 2000 to 2001. I've been a Mezler man ever since, but I also ride in the mountains, the desert, and hot on the streets. That damn transition area on the tire has always been a problem, so I always went with the Metz for the supirior handling and traction on dry or wet. But that's just me, and I only let independant shops work on my bike unless I have no other choice.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
for anyone interested... amazon.com has the Michelin commander II in the SG sizes for $296.86 (thats for both the front and rear) with free 5-8 day shipping.
Trying to find it. Can you point me to a link for this? The guys over at Chaparral don't have the 130/70/18 in yet which is where I have my preorder.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
33 Posts
Everyone will have their own opinion on what tire to run, and that's fine. When you decide what to go with, here is what I found to have the best prices on tires on the web and no shipping charge...better than J.P. Cycles, Dennis Kirk and Motorcycle Superstore, to name a few and they will drop ship to the shop that is going to put your tire on. American Motorcycle Tire - American Motorcycle Tire

1 - 20 of 55 Posts