Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 9k miles it's time for a new set of tires. I could have got more out of the OEM dunlops but I got lazy on air pressure and cupped the front pretty good. Feeling a bit overwhelmed with the available tires for these bikes in factory size. The Kawasaki I had I could only get a rear from Dunlop, Metz, and Avon. If you folks don't mind :DeadHorse:, give some insight on the topic. I hear a lot of good things about the commander IIs. And that is where I am leaning and good places to order them. I usually purchase from Dennis Kirk, but it never hurts to look around.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Coming up on 16k on the rear and 14k on the front for the mc IIs. Both look like new on a Street Glide. Love the handling. I ride city and highway, and don't take it easy on the poor boys. Rain handling is superior for my style of riding. I am satisfied. FYI, I replaced my OEM at 10k and 12k back and front respectively.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I went with the Michelins and like them so far. Revzilla had the best price I could find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just replaced my rear OEM Dunlop at 22,000 miles. I have always gone with the Dunlops and have been happy with them. I do a lot of long trips and feel they wear well and do well in the rain. I am very anal about air pressure and check it at least once a week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, navyman. Your anality motivated me to go check my tire pressure. I've had this 2015 Limited Low for a week now and just assumed the tire pressure would be fine but low and behold both front and rear were 5 pounds underinflated. Don't think I would have lost that much in a week regardless of temperature changes so I think the dealer just blew it on this one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Tires

I loved the mcII on my fxstc when time comes for tires on my 14SGS mich is where I'm going. I too check psi a lot on my bike and cars. By the way lowering air pressure is car dealer trick to improve ride. Remember the firestones blowing out on some SUVs,under inflation was deemed most likely cause. Ford lowered recs to soften ride,not to be negligent but to improve ride. 40years in auto and light truck repair. I would follow tire manufacturers recs first then go from there,I tend to lean towards the high side. Have had very good results and very good instructors.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Low pressure means more heat,flexing of sidewall. Thought I should explain my previous post about tire failures. To ramblin my guess dealer missed air press, I prefer to give benefit of doubt. Always check!

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Mquilty, when did you have E3's? Thought you had American Elites?

I like my AE's have had 2 sets so far and both last me around 13k, but thats what stockers ran too. Essentualy same tire, diff tread patern. Both good tires im trying the MC2's next set.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts