Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks,
I am new to the forum. I own a 1987 softail custom. I would post some pictures, but can't right now. Have been riding since 1971 . On july 17 some clown at a stop sign ran out and hit me,broken ankle. So here I sit waiting to get my cast off. Luckly I was only going about 25mph. bike damage was light. Pa no fault ins sucks. If you are in this state make sure you have UIM and medical. Progressive, gieco. and allstate all say about repairing or replaceing your bike. Which is ok. But the rider is more important.

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky. Sorry to hear about your broken ankle--but it could have been a lot worse.

And I personally wouldn't have no fault insurance and have rejected it here in KY. You are at a disadvantage with no fault cause other drivers can reject it, like I did, or if they don't have insurance they are also not hamstrung by no fault and can sue your arse and you can't counter sue if you have no fault--unless it is a serious accident and you meet at least one of the criteria for disregarding the no fault no sue rules.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky. Sorry to hear about your broken ankle--but it could have been a lot worse.

And I personally wouldn't have no fault insurance and have rejected it here in KY. You are at a disadvantage with no fault cause other drivers can reject it, like I did, or if they don't have insurance they are also not hamstrung by no fault and can sue your arse and you can't counter sue if you have no fault--unless it is a serious accident and you meet at least one of the criteria for disregarding the no fault no sue rules.
Here in NJ you don't have the option to reject it, at least as far as I know.

Hope the ankle heals quickly zundapp. Been to Lancaster several times but with all the tourists (me among them) seems like riding could be a pain unless you know where to go to get away from everyone.

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
Here in NJ you don't have the option to reject it, at least as far as I know.
I bet you can reject it. Check with your insurance company and/or your state Dept. of Insurance. Here we have to sign a rejection form and that stays on file with the state. It costs me, I think, about another $20 or so every 6 months because I rejected no fault. And I don't have the automatic medical coverage that comes with no fault but I have good health insurance already and don't need the no fault medical coverage.

Had a situation years ago where my wife was rear ended. Pretty minor. But the other guy's insurance company was trying to make things difficult and wanted us to jump through some hoops before they would pay. I advised him we had rejected no fault and my wife was rear ended.... Only took about 15 seconds for it to sink in that we could have turned this over to one of those attorneys who specializes in making mountains out of molehills and it could end up costing them a heck of a lot more to settle with us. After it did sink in, his attitude changed dramatically and we had our check for repairs in 2 days.

·
luv the low country
20,288 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the welcome, I know in PA like in NJ your stuck with no fault. A lot of the drivers are carrying minimum coverage, 5-15-30 thousand. Luckly me my work INS is covering the hospital and doctor bills. Your right it could have been a lot worse. Going to add an rivco air horn, Led head light, and even louder than my drag pipes-V&H staggered bigshots. My leather jacket really saved my but.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Yo, from Philly. Yep no fault sucks in Pa. Got rear ended at a red light last year, 11:50 am by an elderly. Cops were called because her vehicle was disabled blocking traffic. All they wanted to know was I drinking, on cell phone or messing with any devices that may have caused collision. I was stopped at red light, they were reaching for anything to let her off hook and put blame on me. Now the eff part I go to hospital for back pain, and follow ups for a few months. In April my ins premium increased, chargeable accident under Pa no fault.

·
American
28,662 Posts
Welcome from Indiana. Get well soon!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I bet you can reject it. Check with your insurance company and/or your state Dept. of Insurance. Here we have to sign a rejection form and that stays on file with the state. It costs me, I think, about another $20 or so every 6 months because I rejected no fault. And I don't have the automatic medical coverage that comes with no fault but I have good health insurance already and don't need the no fault medical coverage.

Had a situation years ago where my wife was rear ended. Pretty minor. But the other guy's insurance company was trying to make things difficult and wanted us to jump through some hoops before they would pay. I advised him we had rejected no fault and my wife was rear ended.... Only took about 15 seconds for it to sink in that we could have turned this over to one of those attorneys who specializes in making mountains out of molehills and it could end up costing them a heck of a lot more to settle with us. After it did sink in, his attitude changed dramatically and we had our check for repairs in 2 days.
I'll double check with my insurance. I have USAA so if it's possible it should be easy to do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts