Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum and I am looking for some advice on slip-ons. I have a 2011 Ultra that still has the stock pipes. Because of the hours I work, my neighbors, my wife, and the fact that I do want to be able to hear the stereo I don't want anything obnoxious.
I just want my bike to sound like a Harley. Nice low rumble at idle, mellow at cruising speeds. i realize that you gain some bark while your rolling on the throttle but i don't want it over the top.
I found some screaming eagle performance take-offs online and it has been suggested that they might be what i am looking for. Apparently they are OEM CVO mufflers??? They are straight cut with end caps. i was under the impression that the CVO mufflers didn't have screaming eagle embossed on them. I think they are "thunder street performance"
Any feedback on these mufflers or any other suggestions on slip-ons that will produce the sound I am looking for without further modifications would be greatly appreciated. I have looked into several different ones. I have heard Reinhardts and screaming eagles before but I didn't pay enough attention because I didn't own a Harley at the time and didn't know that I ever would. The mufflers I was looking at prior to the SE were American Customs with mid rumble baffles. Thanks, Ride Safe! tuneman

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I have S.E. slipons that have the end cap and removable baffles. I have had several different kinds of slip ons, and always come back to my S.E.'s. Not too loud, not too quiet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I heard the SE's on 2003 anniversary Ultra that I was looking at prior to buying what i have now. they sounded great but the bike was in a garage. i was taken in more by the sound than paying attention to the loudness. that and the bike was absolutely beautiful. i guess i was hypnotized! lol... I had a buddy with an 07 Ultra that had Rhinehardts and I thought it was loud. I also looked at an 08 prior to buying mine it had Rhinehardts, it too sounded great but it was pretty loud also. I heard it in and outside of the building it was really kind of hard to actually distinguish between the difference in the note between these and SE. But it's not something I researched. Is the reason you have gone back to the SE based more on the exhaust note or the loudness? Whatever I go with I am looking for that deep, low, rumble. thanks again!

·
I dont know
367 Posts
I have the new SE Street Canons with the billet tips.

They have a nice sound at idle and on acceleration, but are quiet enough at speed so that I can hear the radio and my ears aren't ringing when I stop.

They are a straight through design, I thought they would be louder, Im pretty surprised at how nice they sounded.

The price is right and they look great as well.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
In my opinion...most any slip on...especially since you well be keeping oem head pipe with the catalytic converter will not be to loud...I too prefer to hear my music and want a good sounding pipe as well... I am partial to Rinehart slips...I love the 4 inchers and I have no problem hearing my music

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
First off, where in NY are you??

Second, I would say either the SE's, or a V&H Monster Round is just what you are looking for. The Rineharts are what I have now, and although I love them, they are most definately louder than the V&H all around, which is what I had. The wife liked them better as well, as she finds the Rineharts to be too loud.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
2 stangs is right about the Vance and Hines probably being what you are looking for (and the s.e.) I should specify a lil more...I have had both 3.5 and 4 inch slip ons from Rinehart...when I had the 3.5 they were very loud and the radio was hard to hear...I am talking about cruising speed on the highway...the 4 inchers are better and I love them...but my dad and a good friend have Vance and Hines and they are that nice deep rumble when you want it but mellow at idle and cruising speed...going to a bike night and to some dealerships to listen to exhaust notes is a good idea...to get a good idea of what you like...and at the dealership you should be able to test ride...That should be able to help in your decision...

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
I have the 4" Rineharts, and had the 3.5's, ive heard stangs bike with both. And as far as nice sound without being over loud. The V&H monster rounds or ovals are a good sound and mellow at speed. But I do like the 4" Rineharts better. I think I can hear my stereo fine. But it can get loud under the bridges and tunnels... lol

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire. Love the Rineharts, had SE and V&H. I don't think you could go wrong with either Rineharts or V&H.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I haven't purchased mufflers yet but at least now I have some options to look at. I was also looking at American Customs then I found a pair of SE on Craigslist about an hour from me. He said that he sent the mufflers to a motor works place and they modified them. He assured me that no holes were drilled. He said they cut out this small restrictor plate and that made the sound deeper and a little louder. He didn't say if it affected his back pressure. He said he was happy with them but he was going with complete exhaust and tuner setup. I believe they were listed as SE thunder street? Anyone familiar with these and or the mod that was done? Thanks, Dale

·
Hard Member
3,250 Posts
I have the BUB7 mufflers and they have a deep growl to them. None of my neighbors have bikes, they actually like the sound and appreciate the fact that they are not noisy.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
If you can get some CVO mufflers... IMHO they look great and you can install some FullSac inserts if you want more sound out of them. And you can find these mufflers for a good price from folks that remove them for something else.

In my case I went with the 2" core inserts...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am running Vance and Hines monster rounds! Quiet, but deep, throaty sound. I love em! I get many good inputs from others, liking the sound they put out.

·
I dont know
367 Posts
See if the Harley dealer still has a demo set of the street cannons on a bike. When they came out, each dealer was provided with a set that is stamped "demo". After listening to a set on a SG, I bought a set.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
See if the Harley dealer still has a demo set of the street cannons on a bike. When they came out, each dealer was provided with a set that is stamped "demo". After listening to a set on a SG, I bought a set.
Would you say that the Screamin' Eagle Street Cannon Performance Slip-On Mufflers are the same as the mufflers on the CVOs? But with a different tip? I can't find a photo of them straight from the back to see if the internals look the same.

·
I dont know
367 Posts
Nope not even close. My wifes bike has a set of CVO mufflers. The Street Cannons are a straight through design, look in one end and you are looking out the other end.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Nope not even close. My wifes bike has a set of CVO mufflers. The Street Cannons are a straight through design, look in one end and you are looking out the other end.
Ok, so closer to CVO mufflers with FullSac core insert then. Got it.

So unless you can get a set of CVO mufflers already modified with the FullSac insert really cheap, it is less expensive to get a set of the SE Street Cannons from one of the online vendors that offer 20% discounts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts