Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new to riding, just got my m1. My question is, I'm looking at getting a road king because I feel for my size it's the best. (In 6'2 and 260lbs. Anyway, I was told that I should look into getting an 02 or lower road king because after 02 harley stopped using aircraft metal and started using a cheaper metal, thus the 03 and newer biker are not as good. I'm wondering if there is any truth to this? I looked everywhere and couldn't find. I hope I'm posting in the right place for this. Thanks in advance for your support.

Richard Macleod.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Total crapola.

There are refinements through the years that have improved the model, but though I'm not a guru by any stretch of the imagination, I read constantly and I am not aware of any backward steps.

The Road King is perfect for your size And you will love it!

--

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
If I was gonna get any HD touring bike I would not go older then an 09. 2009 they changed alot and the ride got better. Wider rear tire, more rigid frame. Then in 2014 they did some more changes and it's even better by what I read. But to be honest, there aren't any issues with anything past 2000+ as far as I know.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Welcome from Virginia. You were right to question the logic on that wives-tale. Completely unfounded.

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC. Usually you here a lot of BS about Harleys from non-Harley owners who wish they had one. I have an '02 Road King and have had zero issues with it. I absolutely love my King.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Welcome to the forum from N.Y.
I always love hearing the line of B S that people say about Harley like they have first hand experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the welcoming and the info. I will definitely be staying away from this person and them trying to sell me their bike

·
Registered
39,514 Posts
I will definitely be staying away from this person and them trying to sell me their bike
Ding ding ding! Clue #1, that they have an agenda to knock Harley.

Anyway, I was told that I should look into getting an 02 or lower road king because after 02 harley stopped using aircraft metal

I'd ask him how much "aircraft metal" his bike is made out of (after he puts his crack pipe away).... :loco

then ask yourself "am I buying an airplane, or a motorcycle"?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Welcome from central Florida. Mine is an 02 RK and I'm not looking at anything newer. I'm enamored with mine also.

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire. There are idiots everywhere. Aircraft metal!! yikes!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will definitely be staying away from this person and them trying to sell me their bike
Ding ding ding! Clue #1, that they have an agenda to knock Harley.

Anyway, I was told that I should look into getting an 02 or lower road king because after 02 harley stopped using aircraft metal

I'd ask him how much "aircraft metal" his bike is made out of (after he puts his crack pipe away)....

then ask yourself "am I buying an airplane, or a motorcycle"?

He went on to tell me how his engine was a 103 and now it's a 109. This person is family so I wanted to see how much truth there was to his story. I'll be sticking to my first choice I was looking at witch is an 07 road king

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
He went on to tell me how his engine was a 103 and now it's a 109. This person is family so I wanted to see how much truth there was to his story. I'll be sticking to my first choice I was looking at witch is an 07 road king
Put that line about his bike being a 103 in same category as the "aircraft metal" line. The 99-02 Road Kings came with 88 cubic inch engines. The 103 engine came much later.

Just for giggles, what else is this guy telling you?

--

·
Registered
39,514 Posts
Put that line about his bike being a 103 in same category as the "aircraft metal" line. The 99-02 Road Kings came with 88 cubic inch engines. The 103 engine came much later.

Just for giggles, what else is this guy telling you?

--
Yeah, I'm wondering what bike is it that he has, that started out as a 103, and now its a 109? :dunno

I don't know of any Jap bikes that come stock with a 103, and I don't know of any bore / stroke combinations that turn a Harley into a 109. :cowdung

1 - 20 of 30 Posts