Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, my dad had a wreck on his bike last night due to the handlebars collapsing, anyone ever heard of this before. Five broken ribs and a broken wrist, other than that he's ok.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
I adjusted the handlebars on my bike once, and apparently didn't torque down on the 4 pinch bolts tight enough, the position held up fine until I tried to use handlebars and feet on forward controls to partly lift my ass off the seat to reduce a bump, and that caused the bars to fall halfway down.

If it's a bike where this slipping has happened a lot, there may have been some scrubbing out of the aluminum biting surface, and a shim between the handlebars and the clamping surface to tighten things back up would be needed.

Sorry to hear about his crash, glad it wasn't worse. Tell him heal up soon for us.

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
Wow! I'm glad to hear he faired as well as he did! :eek:

There were no warning signs as to the loose bars, eh?

Welcome to the forum, BTW, and we'll try not to hold it against you that you're an Aggie! :)

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he heals well and fast.

Welcome to the most wonderful HD fan place around. We look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He has had his bike in the shop twice because of loose handlebars, the last time he was told they were fixed and it shouldn't happen again. As he was going around a curve the handlebars collapsed around the gas tank.
He has almost 30k in this bike, well had, you'd think that kind of cash would get you solid handlebars, guess not. Thanks for y'alls help!

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Welcome to our lil' corner of the Internet. Sorry to hear about your Dad. Ouch!

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Welcome Tex! 5 ribs? Ouch! I hope he heals up quickly.
I changed my own handle bars and had to make a further tightening because they loosened up a bit. There was plenty of warning for me because they only moved a bit when applying my full weight on them, Pushing the bike with the motor off to maneuver it around the parking lot.
What model bike is it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts