Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So new guy here hoping to join the Harley community in the next week or two. I'm sure it's been asked time and time again but here it goes. I'm looking at the HD Iron 883 and Forty Eight. I'm pretty into the classic style bike. My 1st bike was an 81 KZ 440 which just required more attention then I had time for.I've ridden a Fat boy and Dyna and they just felt to big for me. I Only rode for a year and haven't been on a bike in 6 years so interested in what more experienced riders think would be the better bike to get into. I'm a pretty short guy so it's hard to find something that I don't have to get lowered off the show room floor. Tried to get advice from friends but just too many Harley haters that tried my patience. Again glad to be here and hoping to be on the road living the American Dream soon.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky. There are riders on this forum that are happy with their 883. However, I would bet a lot of money there are a lot more riders that are glad they went with the 1200 Sportster rather than the 883.

The "bigness" you experienced with a ride on a Dyna and/or Fatboy will "disappear" in half an afternoon of riding.

And you can do some research on the HD website. Pull up a particular bike then, towards the upper section of the page, click on "Pricing/Specs" and you can see the seat height, both laden and unladen, for that bike. You will note numerous bikes have a lower seat height than the Sportsters.

Decisions, decisions. Ain't it fun?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome and the information. I'll be sure to take a look at that on the website. Decisions are rough being like a kid in a candy store. The pay off will be worth in I'm sure.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Welcome from SE Oklahoma!!! Lots of great ppl/info on here!!!

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Welcome from Apollo, PA.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,449 Posts
Welcome aboard from Mississippi!!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Welcome to the forum from N.Y. you may want to go and rent a couple of different bikes for a day or two each. This way you will really get the fell for the bikes and witch one is right for you. It also depends on the kind of riding you are looking to do. If you are looking for a weekend bar hopper or one for long distance riding. But in the end get the one that specks to you. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Ziggy. Scheduling some test rides so I can make the final decision. Gonna be commuting which is actually a short ride to work however, definitely will be a weekend bar hopper.

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire. Good luck on search.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Welcome from Ga. If you like the sportster and it feels good to you, then you won't be dissapointed. I have rode all different kinds of bikes and my personal favorite is the sportster!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts