Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:biker:Hello. I'm an old fart, been riding for 55+years. I started on jap bikes, and switched to a spanish bike when I rode dirt exclusively. When I went back to riding on pavement, I wanted a big 4-stroke single and the only thing that was available was the SR 500 at the time. I rode it for many years and loved it but it got hard to maintain due to the lack of parts and age made my hands into claws and handling a wrench and screw driver became problematic. Got a VFR 750 but I was riding it more and enjoying it less.

I kept hearing bad things about the H-D so I went with a British parallel twin. It was nice but parts and service was again hard to find for it. My old messed up hands made working on it impossible.

My wife wanted to ride her own bike and based on the "lies":cowdung I had heard about H-Ds I tried to get her to get another brand. She found an xl883l and, well if wifey ain't happy, nobody is happy:love. I bought it for her and it was ready to pick up before she had completed the MSF course soooo, I was forced to ride It home. About five minutes on her H-D, and it was like coming out of a fog and into the sunlight. I understood the Harley "mistique".

Because of the availability of parts and service for H-D, I have just purchased a new xl1200t. This bike is damn near perfect for me and I look forward to the rest of my years checking out those little squiggly lines on the maps now. :bikerguy:

grumpy

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
great intro. welcome aboard

·
Banned
71 Posts
:biker:Hello. I'm an old fart, been riding for 55+years. I started on jap bikes, and switched to a spanish bike when I rode dirt exclusively. When I went back to riding on pavement, I wanted a big 4-stroke single and the only thing that was available was the SR 500 at the time. I rode it for many years and loved it but it got hard to maintain due to the lack of parts and age made my hands into claws and handling a wrench and screw driver became problematic. Got a VFR 750 but I was riding it more and enjoying it less.

I kept hearing bad things about the H-D so I went with a British parallel twin. It was nice but parts and service was again hard to find for it. My old messed up hands made working on it impossible.

My wife wanted to ride her own bike and based on the "lies":cowdung I had heard about H-Ds I tried to get her to get another brand. She found an xl883l and, well if wifey ain't happy, nobody is happy:love. I bought it for her and it was ready to pick up before she had completed the MSF course soooo, I was forced to ride It home. About five minutes on her H-D, and it was like coming out of a fog and into the sunlight. I understood the Harley "mistique".

Because of the availability of parts and service for H-D, I have just purchased a new xl1200t. This bike is damn near perfect for me and I look forward to the rest of my years checking out those little squiggly lines on the maps now. :bikerguy:

grumpy
It just takes some of us a little longer to see the light . :thumb

:welcome

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
I'm an old fart too. Welcome. I also started on Jap bikes, then English, then Harley then a 33 yr hiatus and now Harley again.

The only bad years for Harley products were the AMF years and not everything was crap. Fortunately, I never owned an AMF Harley.

Enjoy your 1200; lots of power there. Be careful don't want to pull a Wylie Coyote ans splat yourself on the back of a truck. :)

PS, Grumpy used to be my handle too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
About five minutes on her H-D, and it was like coming out of a fog and into the sunlight. I understood the Harley "mistique".
Yep. That's about right. Welcome from Houston, TX

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

I give it less than a year of riding that HD and you will drop the "grumpy".

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC. I'm not an old fart, an that's, that. Nope, no how, no way.:bikerguy:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Oklahoma; grumpy_1944. Congratulations on your new SuperLow, Brother. Great folks here and tons of technical information to search thru.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm an ole fart too...welcome from central Florida.

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire

·
Registered
398 Posts
Welcome from Waco, TX. Lots of us old farts around to meet and learn from.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Welcome from SE Oklahoma!!! Lots of great ppl/info on here!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts