Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the military, live in Beaufort SC, getting promoted, and looking for my first ever Harley. I've owned a sports bike before and rode it for about three years but it's been about another three years since I've rode a motorcycle period. I was never a twisty turny drag the pegs kind of rider, I like the casual cruise, I like the speed but primarily in a straight line, short weekend trips kind of thing, only big enough to carry a passenger comfortably on occasion, it will definitely be a 85% only me riding kind of thing.

Based on pure aesthetics I've really got my eye on a V-Rod. Does anyone have any solid input on this type of motorcycle and how well it might meet my needs as described above. I haven't test rode anything but I would be open to trying other bikes that come with a good recommendation.

Others requirements are:
Used nothing older than about 2008-2009
under $15,000
all black!

I'm not looking to pull the trigger like tomorrow or anything but wouldn't pass up a super good deal if it came across.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Road King
Welcome from Kansas

·
Super Moderator
12,744 Posts
Had a V-Rod for ~5 years. I love my Dyna a lot more.

With $15k and open to bikes back to '08, you can get almost any model you want.

I do agree the Road King sounds like a fit for your description.

Get to a demo days or find a dealer that will let you test ride different models. Maybe even rent a couple. You'll find the right one.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I second what gtrman said (that's "Guitar Man" not "Gutter Man", btw). :) Thanks for your service and welcome from Houston.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Try as many bikes as you can before making a decision. The Road King or Heritage would be good choices for packing someone and going on those weekend trips.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,241 Posts
I like the casual cruise, I like the speed but primarily in a straight line, short weekend trips kind of thing, only big enough to carry a passenger comfortably on occasion, it will definitely be a 85% only me riding kind of thing.

Based on pure aesthetics I've really got my eye on a V-Rod. Does anyone have any solid input on this type of motorcycle and how well it might meet my needs as described above. I haven't test rode anything but I would be open to trying other bikes that come with a good recommendation.

Others requirements are:
Used nothing older than about 2008-2009
under $15,000
all black!
Been riding my V-Rod (DX) over 6 years and over 40k miles...mainly in the city, with a few day trips in the mix...

What you have described above fits...other than passenger being comfortable.

My wife is 5'1 and barely over a buck and she can barely handle 5 hours on the back of my Rod.... The passenger pegs are really high, and the seat is very small.

Good straight line speed, comfortable enough for a cruise (no more than 10 hours straight though) and powerful enough to make you grin...2nd gear tops out at about 85mph.

If you want bags, don't ruin the V-Rod with bags, get a Road King or some other sort of geezer glide...

One thing to keep in mind, V-rods aren't short people friendly, unless you find one with mid controls...

If you want better advice on the V-rod I recommend 1130cc.com (link at the bottom of the page under "V-Rod forums"). You'll find less opinions from a bunch of old dudes on baggers...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your service and welcome from eden nc

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I'm orignially from Ridgeway, VA right up the road!

I've looked into demo days already and nothing within a reasonable distance from me anytime in the near distance future so that's out...

I've personally never been cared too much for the saddle bag look, the clean sleek "naked" feel is for me lol

And lets be honest my passengers comfort isn't my top priority lol

I couldn't imagine riding further than 5 hours on any bike! Call me crazy but a long trip I'd prefer to trailer it and then ride when I get there haha

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Welcome, and Thanks for your service. As mentioned, ride as many models as you can before pulling the trigger. I originally wanted a V Rod as well, never thought I would be a long haul rider either.

That was 9 vacations and 38K miles ago. I LOVE my bagger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan on testing as many bikes as a dealership will allow!!

Any thoughts on the Dyna series? Those would definitely be second in line on choices!

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you're a straight line cruiser averse to baggers or touring models, and like the wide tire look of the vrod, you should definitely test a Softail Breakout.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,241 Posts
If you're a straight line cruiser averse to baggers or touring models, and like the wide tire look of the vrod, you should definitely test a Softail Breakout.
I can agree with that, even Harley "purists" should be agreeable with the breakout.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virgina. Plenty of good folks and good information here.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Oklahoma; ArMarine04. Thank you for your service to our great Nation. Great folks here and tons of technical information to search thru. I own an Ultra and a Deuce; love both and would give up neither. The Sportster family may be worth a look; but ride what appeals to you and you'll know when you get on it... it'll just plain fit. Good luck and let us know.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Welcome, and Thanks for your service. As mentioned, ride as many models as you can before pulling the trigger. I originally wanted a V Rod as well, never thought I would be a long haul rider either.

That was 9 vacations and 38K miles ago. I LOVE my bagger.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!! Thank you for your service.
Semper Fi!!!
Welcome from SEOklahoma!!! Lots of great ppl/info on here!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Welcome from N. Arizona and Route 66. Ride safe bro.

2013 FLHRC stocker
Former Sea-Air Rescue FMF Navy Corpsman

·
Super Moderator
4,361 Posts
I have a break out and my riding buddy has a v-rod. There are many similarities as mentioned above. I have the bags for mine. There are more opportunities to cutomize the break out also. The break out is a new model as of 2013 and I would recommend the ABS but that puts it a bit out of your looking range.

DI tour?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts