Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this great forum, while trying to find an answer about the fuel shut off on my 1989 FLHTC. I bought the 26 year old bike yesterday and rode it home, it purred like a kitten.

When I got home, I parked in the driveway and noticed a couple of drop of gas coming from the fuel line into the shutoff valve. I turned off the valve and no more problem. I put the bike in the garage later and forgot to turn off the valve. I walked into the garage about an hour later and the heavy fuel smell made me investigate and there was fuel leaking from under the bike onto the mats it was parked on. I immediately turned off the valve and it stopped leaking. Should I be concerned about starting the bike? I read where the gas could get into the crankcase?
I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
It is possible for fuel to get into the cylinders. To make sure, you can remove plugs and hit the starter. Keep the wires/plugs away from the holes. Most likely the float is not shutting off completely. Tapping on the float bowl with a screwdriver handle may seat it. May require a new float needle. From your description, maybe the petcock fitting between tank and petcock is not tight. Check with a big crescent wrench. With a bike that age that is new to you, it's a good idea to pull the fitting from the tank and clean the screen, also install new fuel lines (cheap), and at least remove the drain plug from bottom of float and let gas flush through (into a cup). Post back, the guys here can solve every problem known. Including world politics.:thumbsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is possible for fuel to get into the cylinders. To make sure, you can remove plugs and hit the starter. Keep the wires/plugs away from the holes. Most likely the float is not shutting off completely. Tapping on the float bowl with a screwdriver handle may seat it. May require a new float needle. From your description, maybe the petcock fitting between tank and petcock is not tight. Check with a big crescent wrench. With a bike that age that is new to you, it's a good idea to pull the fitting from the tank and clean the screen, also install new fuel lines (cheap), and at least remove the drain plug from bottom of float and let gas flush through (into a cup). Post back, the guys here can solve every problem known. Including world politics.:thumbsup
Thank you for the reply. Not being a wrench at all, I can't even attempt what you have suggested. I did check the oil and it is thin and smells like gas......waiting for mechanic to call me back. Damn I should have been riding today.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Good call. When in doubt, wait for a professional opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts