Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from the shop today on the bike. It had a lifter that not only collapsed, but also sheared. This ended up damaging the cam, oil pump & cam plate. He said it was the first lifter he had ever seen that sheared. So new cam, lifters, oil pump & cam plate on order. Here is a pic of the bad boy that caused it. ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1429156085.735650.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Dang, that sucks. I haven't seen one like that yet. I've seen bearings going bad, but that one really sheared the roller shaft?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went out at a little over 29,000 miles, new SE lifters going back in so I hope this isn't common to their parts.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Fugly mess when that steel is thrown into a virtual hailstorm in the camchest area.
I imagine the pump is fubared as well.
The cases should be split/oil pan cleaned(don't forget the oil cooler/lines if so equipped) to insure all debris is gone.
Scott

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fugly mess when that steel is thrown into a virtual hailstorm in the camchest area.

I imagine the pump is fubared as well.

The cases should be split/oil pan cleaned(don't forget the oil cooler/lines if so equipped) to insure all debris is gone.

Scott

Thanks, replacing oil pump, cams & cam bearings, cam plate, lifters & whatever else is in cam chest. Cleaned out an ready to go now. We did find the piece that sheared off sitting on bottom of the chest. Good thing was when it went the motor was shut down immediately. Had just finished putting apes on it at the shop it was at an was checking out the install to make sure everything was working on the apes. Pushed it back to the shop.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well went & picked it up today and it is running great, found out we ended up putting in S&S lifters instead of SE lifters. Fine by me. Best part the extended warranty I got thru Kutter HD up in WI took care of everything & $0 deductable. I live in FL

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Good news!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts