Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey yall , new to the forum. Not even sure how to work it. Hope I didn't bump or whatever it's called... I finally got my 74 fxe running right and built to my liking. Love the sound it's just slow AF.. figure going to electronic ignition and cam..my question is what cam to go with? Will try to post a pic of black Beauty haha

What's up guys. New to forum. And finally navigated to I think the right area. I have a 74 74ci fxe. Had for a few years and finally have it looking up to par and how I like it. Still using points. But my question is what cam should I use? Bike sounds awesome but is slow. Was gonna switch to electronic and stick a bigger cam in. Currently running drag pipes with I think speed cones r in. Compression is Good. Don't know numbers lol I just go by sounds and if the kicker still has potential to jack your leg up it must be good haha. Any insight would help. First Harley and plan on keeping it. Nothing like a shovel.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
1974 fxe

got a 74-74 fxe a few weeks ago- tearing it down now-welcome

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Welcome BigMike. What you did with your second post was called a hi-jack.
I merged your 2 posts here.

I ran a Crane Fireball cam in my 83 80" Shovel. Loved the low end grunt and mid-range roll on power.
Was not great on top end though the bike would peg a 120MPH speedo.
Cam choice really depends on your riding style among other things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha thanks man..at a total loss with forums. And gotta learn how to post pics. Thanks for reply. And 120 isn't bad lol I feel like I'm pushing mine too much at 80+

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
You did fin on the pics. They can be clicked on to view larger versions.

Was more then happy with 120. Did not do it often. But new the original speedo said 80MPH. And yep. That is where it quit pulling.

Along with the Crane I bolted on a Mikuni 40MM carb, and ran 1 3/4 open drags. I was plenty happy with it.
But if you want more then 120. Then the Fireball is not for you. The power band is to low.
And if you plan on running that hard for long periods then just a cam. Think about a gear change too.
And if you really do not know the engines history. You are asking for trouble IMO.

You just are not going to get a 74" Shovel to run like a crotch rocket if that is what you have in mind.
Well.....I will take that back sort of. Old saying. "How fast do you want to go? How much do you want to spend?"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@thunder Struck- very nice! Yea, I have a S&S carb. I put on and that alone was a nice change, no lie bike has 16k original miles and I'm 2nd owner, no doubt it needed some newer things once I got it but it definitely a strong runner. And no , I don't need to keep up with the Jap bikes, would be nice lol.but not looking to stroke etc. Just some ooomph and higher top speed ..I don't ride hard let alone highways much. Thanks for your info!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from OK; BiggMike. Congratulations on getting your new Shovelhead to your liking, Brother. Great folks here.

·
Registered
42,143 Posts
Hey yall , new to the forum. Not even sure how to work it. Hope I didn't bump or whatever it's called... I finally got my 74 fxe running right and built to my liking. Love the sound it's just slow AF.. figure going to electronic ignition and cam..my question is what cam to go with?
Andrews B grind if running solids
Andrews BH grind if running hydraulics

·
Just Ride
3,749 Posts
Andrews J grind if you're leaving stock internals will surprise you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts