Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna buy my first motorcycle this winter because everyone says that's when you get the best deal. I just wanted to check with you guys and see what bike you recommend. I will have a passenger from time to time. I was thinking a breakout or street glide.

·
Poser Member # 99
18,137 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

If this is actually your first bike get a sportster or a cheap Honda or Yamaha and learn to ride . That First and get use to it . Get comfortable with the bike before you try riding with a passenger.
If you buy a cheap older bike it would hurt so much if you drop it or ding it up some while your learning to ride , You'll Have to take a motorcycle class before you get licensed so that some thing else you'll have to look in to

·
American
28,662 Posts
Welcome too the forum.

·
luv the low country
20,288 Posts
Welcome. Test ride a few and see what fits you.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Welcome form Hilo, Hawaii. If you're only looking at the Breakout and/or Street Glide, I personally would go with the Street Glide. I believe the Street Glide would be more comfortable for packing and for distance riding.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Welcome from St. Louis. Good luck on the bike hunting!

·
Indian Larry
9,184 Posts
Welcome from north Texas!
I have much to say about first bikes, but it really depends on who you are, what you know and how much money you can afford!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought my first bike back at the end of January, a 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT. It was a great learning bike, very nimble and easy to ride. I just recently traded it in on a 2012 Harley Ultra Limited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
alienwulf
11 Posts
I started a life time ago with a 125 dirt bike then a 350 Honda to a sportster. You need to start off with something you can handle as to get your Lic you'll need to prove you can handle it, before you will ever ride someone on the back.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Welcome from Florida where Mickey Mouse lives. Be sure to take a riding course and when I went back to riding it was recommended that I put 5,000 miles on a bike before I tried to ride anyone. IMO that was and is good advice.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
Super Moderator
4,901 Posts
Welcome from Virginia! Love the BreakOut.

+1 For rider's course
+1 For learning on a small street or dirt bike
+1 for practicing before dumping your passenger

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for your input! I been into to 4 wheeler for awhile now but I'm just ready to cruise and spend more time with my dad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought my first Harley back in September. 2008 vivid black softail deluxe. Wish I would've bought one years ago. Living in ct, I bought kinda late in the season but I've still managed to put almost 2500 on it. If your looking for a good first hd, check out the deluxe

·
Registered
5 Posts
FYI I'm brand new to this forum but I learned a lot on what I was looking for by looking through these forums so thanks everyone?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Welcome from Waco, TX.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts