Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a old chopper that was my fathers after he passed away on his trip to see me in alaska. Im not to sure on what year or what kind of motor it has, but i was hoping someone with experience with old harleys could help me out. Any info that someone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Ill try to post pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My pictures wont upload i looked on other threads to fix this problem but its not working any suggestions?

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
Early Ironhead, maybe '60 - '61 or so. Maybe a year or two newer because of the magneto.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I get red x's, but welcome to the forum!

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Post VIN......has year in it. No guessing. Frame is not original.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virgina. Plenty of good folks and good information here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone i appreciate the info and welcoming me to this online family. The engines a 57 the first year of the sportster, I talked to some folks in new jersey about the magneto and the problems they have with advancing and retarting the throttle. Im thinking of going to a distributor set up any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for welcoming me to this forum and i appreciate the advice with the auto advance, one problem we found with the magneto is that the S&S carb hits the mag so for clearance issues i was thinking distributor. what would you go with?

·
Wayward Son
23,317 Posts
When you say hits it? Do you mean all the time or only when manually adjusted\advanced to start\run.
With the auto advance the outter casing of the magneto does not move. It`s all done internally.

Magnetos can be tricky. But have come a long way. Once set-up right are pretty good and a great eye catcher and conversation piece. Especially on a tricked chopper.
Whether you stay magneto or go distributor has to be your call for sentimental reasons....or not.

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
There it is on the left case, 57XL ! Those pics weren't in this post yesterday.

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When you say hits it? Do you mean all the time or only when manually adjusted\advanced to start\run.
With the auto advance the outter casing of the magneto does not move. It`s all done internally.

Magnetos can be tricky. But have come a long way. Once set-up right are pretty good and a great eye catcher and conversation piece. Especially on a tricked chopper.
Whether you stay magneto or go distributor has to be your call for sentimental reasons....or not.

Its resting on the magneto all the time. Even when the carb is tight. Maybe making a bracket that will hold it higher for clearance or something, Ive never fabricated anything before like that, It will be interesting.

·
Wayward Son
23,317 Posts
It`s more important to keep the manifold\carb at a 90 degree angle, or very close, from the motor.
Is it leaning down now? Or is it straight out?

Normally they come with a bracket.
That is a lot of weight to be hanging from just the intake gaskets and clamps.
Was this bike ever ridden or a project bike that never got done?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts