Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. Fairly new to Harley, new to the site. Just bought a 2011 Wide Glide. What got me started on the form is, I was wondering if the wide glide should vibrate like it does. I am use to a old FLT 1980. I know it vibrates but I thought newer would not be as bad.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Hello to all. Fairly new to Harley, new to the site. Just bought a 2011 Wide Glide. What got me started on the form is, I was wondering if the wide glide should vibrate like it does. I am use to a old FLT 1980. I know it vibrates but I thought newer would not be as bad.

What do you mean by "vibrate", engine shaking in frame at idle or feet and hands buzzing off the pegs and grips when riding? Engine shaking like a paint mixer at idle is normal, you should not feel much shaking/vibrating etc. when under way.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Welcome from SEOklahoma!!! Lots of great ppl/info on here!!!

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
Rubber mount motor = LOTS of shaking at idle.

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Welcome from the land of warm beer.

Search for a post dated 03-13-2013 by GlideWide. It tells how to check the motor mount clearance. No clearance = bad vibration. Correct clearance = enough vibration to let you know you're on a motorcycle but not enough to get "Milwaukee Finger".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What do you mean by "vibrate", engine shaking in frame at idle or feet and hands buzzing off the pegs and grips when riding? Engine shaking like a paint mixer at idle is normal, you should not feel much shaking/vibrating etc. when under way.
Yes it vibrates lots in frame at idle (normal), but there is some vibration in the foot pegs and bars when riding. I would not say buzzing off the foot pegs or bars, just noticeable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My 103 does shake ALOT at idle but is smooth as silk <30 mph. I've gotten used to it after 11 months.

2013 FLHRC

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Yes it vibrates lots in frame at idle (normal), but there is some vibration in the foot pegs and bars when riding. I would not say buzzing off the foot pegs or bars, just noticeable.
I have both a Dyna and an Electra and there is some vibration in the pegs and bars, but I have to pay attention to notice it. The Dyna engine and exhaust system are isolated from the frame. If any part of the exhaust touches the frame, vibration will be felt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would like to say hi to all that have returned a hi and comments on my wide glide. Also looked up the post that was suggested.
I will ask another question related to the vibration, does any one think the temp. of the day would change the vibration? I last rode the bike when it was about +10 C, 50F. Seem to have a little more vibration. O it might be just me.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Dyna's vibrate , some vibrate A LOT ! Someday the moco will relent and install that third and (MOST IMPORTANT) rubber motor mount , as the old FXR's had . They've lost a multitude of customer's due to their bean-counters nixing that all inclusive third rubber engine mount !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts