Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.. New to this forum. I've been riding since April 2008 and hooked! Just traded in my 2003 Heritage on a 2008 Ultra!! With that in mind, I had a couple of questions for you more saavy riders/mechanics out there.

First off, break in..do you guys do the "HD manual recommended" soft break in, or do you guys "ride it like you stole it"?? Very confused on all the info I get online. I now have about 300 miles on the bike, the majority of that was on the interstate varying my speeds when possible.

Second question is regarding simple maintenance. I'd like to change my own oil, etc.. any tips for this particular bike? Tools/widgets that help? Any info is good info for me. Thanks again and I look forward to chatting with all on here... ride safe..

Mike....

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
Welcome aboard Mike..

Of course you're hoooked. We all are.

Buy the service manual. Don't even attempt the simplest maintenance procedure w/o it, except maybe chacking the air in your tires.

As to break-in, don't race, or over-rev it, don't ride the same speed and throttle setting for a half hour, accel, decel, accel, decel.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Yea stick to the HD reccomended.
Get the HD service manual for your scoot. It will outline any particular tool you need for the givin service on your model.
May want to get the electrical diagnostics manual for your model too if your really into your own work.

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet.. thanks for the info. Being new to Harley's, I want this bike to last me for a few years at least. I am assuming I can get a service manual from my dealer yes? Basically, I want to do all the simple stuff myself such as change the oil, tranny fluids, etc.. drain, fill, ride type stuff. All the major stuff, I'll let the pros do it. But I'm fairly comfortable working on cars, never worked on a bike though. So all the info is GREATLY appreciated.. thanks brothers!!!!

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Yes or you can go online to Chicago Harley (should come up with a search). Usually 20% off most items. You'll need part numbers so a HD 09 Parts and accesories catolog comes handy or go online to HD parts and accesories. Trick is to order several items to make shipping costs pay or else yes just as well hit the dealer.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Welcome lb2910,

The main thing I like to keep in check when breaking in the motor is to resist the temptation to run at a low RPM so as to "take it easy" on your new motor. This practice is known as "lugging" the motor when your in too high of a gear for the speed your going. It creates a huge amount of internal stress on the components of your motor. A higher RPM sounds more stressful but it's not.

I changed out my oil and filter at 500 miles and again at 1000 miles with Mobil-1 or Amsoil synthetic. Best of luck with your new ride!

PS: The factory service manual is a must have!

·
Registered
39,451 Posts
BREAK-IN PROCEDURE

1. Make a test run at 30 miles per hour and accelerate at full throttle to 50 miles per hour. Repeat the acceleration cycle from 30 to 50 miles per hour at least ten times. No further break-in is necessary. If traffic conditions will not permit this procedure, accelerate the engine rapidly several times through the intermediate gears during the check run. The object is to apply a load to the engine for short periods of time and in rapid succession soon after engine warm up. This action thrusts the piston rings against the cylinder wall with increased pressure and results in accelerated ring seating.

Following that,
Drive vehicle normally but avoid sustained high speed during the first 100 miles.
At no time should the engine be lugged. Lugging is said to exist when the engine does not respond when you twist the throttle.

Taken from Hastings piston ring website
http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTips/breakin_procedure.htm

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the manual today.. LOADS of good info.. thanks to all for the heads up on that.. all good info from everyone... looks like I am in the right forum... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts