Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone! New to this Harley riding, i ride an 08 Busa. Just inherited my dads 95 Road King FLHR. It is the Police version? Anyway....does anyone know if you can swap out the speedometer and relocate to the gas tank? This one sits up pretty high...... Also...anyone have any tips on easily shifting this joker into Neutral? Really looking forward to getting this joker up and running...also any mod suggestions or tips are welcome!

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
44,704 Posts
Make sure the clutch is adjusted properly.
Then try Dexron ATF in the primary and Mobil 1 75W-140 gear oil in the transmission next time you do an oil change.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The police model is nearly the same as the civilian Road King, therefore, any parts that you are interested in swapping out should go on without problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. The police model is nearly the same as the civilian Road King, therefore, any parts that you are interested in swapping out should go on without problems.
Well, that's what i thought. I went in to one of the local Harley dealers to the parts dept and wow....what a horrible experience but that's a story for another day. They basically said that i couldn't do it because it wasn't functionally possible and the parts don't exist anymore?? So needless to say now i'm online hunting for parts....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey Everyone! New to this Harley riding, i ride an 08 Busa. Just inherited my dads 95 Road King FLHR. It is the Police version? Anyway....does anyone know if you can swap out the speedometer and relocate to the gas tank? This one sits up pretty high...... Also...anyone have any tips on easily shifting this joker into Neutral? Really looking forward to getting this joker up and running...also any mod suggestions or tips are welcome!
Welcome from WA state, dubsen!
Kainam has helped me quite a lot sourcing parts for my '98 Dyna. He sent me to Welcome to eHarleyParts.com - A Division of Signature Cycles for a part I couldn't find anywhere else.
Good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome from Canada ( eastern Canada ) try when you stop the bike shut it off first then neutral worked on my 1995 softail , as far as parts, they are our there that's half the fun , of looking , then riding too , nice thing to get from your dad ,sorry for your loss , if that's the case but think if him often as you ride his ride , cheers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'm stuck in the 90's myself and no place I'd rather be.
Even when the dealerships were still carrying EVO parts they were a PITA to deal with.
Asking all sorts of questions because that's what the search program on their computer required.

It'll be helpful with a few basics...your frame is a series that began in 1994 and went until 1996. In 1997 the frame changed again. That gives you a few years of parts interchangeability. In 1996 they changed up the switches on the handlebars. 1996 was also the first year for fuel injection on the road king.

I search eBay when I'm looking for something. I may not buy from an eBay vendor but I will leave knowing all the part numbers to search it more widely....and usually cheaper too.

The neutral thing.
Ok, I got this whole Harley riding trip...right? I rev for a reason. I shift when the shiftings good. The whole trip I'm layin down is a mind f##k because while your busy changing the bike....well, guess what? The Harley will change you. Learning the whole trip about how to live in peace with your Harley. Think of it like this.....does a string of Harleys pull into the parking lot the same way as a string of Busa's?

I don't try to find neutral when at a dead stop with the motor running. I'm playing my Harley dude thing I'm gonna coast to a rest with the bike in neutral...and pointing in the right direction, right there where the jiffy stand will pop the perfect lean.

When reality sets back in....I'll cut off the motor and reach down with my left hand.

You got a bike that hits right in what a lot of us believe was the golden years for production and design. It's a good one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts