Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Murdured HD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to the Harley Family W/Pics of my new bike !

Hey Everyboody ! Im new here so be Nice.

Im a sport bike guy who decided to get a Sportster :thumb

Now, I need all of your advice on what I should do with this bike.

Its a 2002 Sportster 1200 / custom with what seems to look like a Screaming Eagle air cleaner and Pipes.

Question: I noticed the the pipes have baffles ! should I leave those in or should I take them out ... Advantages ? Dis-Advantages ?

Any other suggestion ?
I noticed that I have a MT90B16 Tire ... what does that = to with of tire ...130? 140? 150?

Also, I want to lower the rear ... should I get new shocks or go with the cheep shock relocators ? 1 inch, 3 inches ? will I still be able to carry a passanger ?

Look foward to talking to you all !

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Welcome

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Now, I need all of your advice on what I should do with this bike.
"Ride it."
Its a 2002 Sportster 1200 / custom with what seems to look like a Screaming Eagle air cleaner and Pipes.
"Very nice."
Question: I noticed the the pipes have baffles ! should I leave those in or should I take them out ... Advantages "None" Dis-Advantages "less power and louder"

Any other suggestion ?
I noticed that I have a MT90B16 Tire ... what does that = to with of tire ..."130"
Also, I want to lower the rear ... should I get new shocks or go with the cheep shock relocators ? 1 inch, 3 inches "12 inch progressive. " will I still be able to carry a passenger "Only if you go 1" lower but will get a rougher ride."

·
Murdured HD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would i be able to go into a 140 ?

and you say if I take out my baffles the bike will get louder but I will loose power ?

·
Registered
40,762 Posts
Looks like you already have lower shocks in the rear.

Just ride it. You will eventually know what you want to change, rather than asking what you should change.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Some 140 tire brands will work but not recommended,especially if you ride 2 up.
and you say if I take out my baffles the bike will get louder but I will loose power ?
You need back pressure to run properly or you can re-jet your carb and loose some power and fuel mileage if you want to go loud.

·
Murdured HD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some 140 tire brands will work but not recommended,especially if you ride 2 up.
You need back pressure to run properly or you can re-jet your carb and loose some power and fuel mileage if you want to go loud.
Do you think I can fit a 135 ? do they Make a 135 ?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Question: I noticed the the pipes have baffles ! should I leave those in or should I take them out ... Advantages ? Dis-Advantages ?

Any other suggestion ?
I noticed that I have a MT90B16 Tire ... what does that = to with of tire ...130? 140? 150?

Also, I want to lower the rear ... should I get new shocks or go with the cheep shock relocators ? 1 inch, 3 inches ? will I still be able to carry a passanger ?
Leave the baffles in. With you having both pipes and aircleaner, the carb is jetted for the pipes as they are. If you reomve the baffles, you'll need to rejet again. Beside, the SE baffles aren't that quiet. You can reomve the baffles and move the tabs a bit to get more sound, if that's what you're looking for, and readjust the a/f mixture to suit.

MT90B16 = a bias ply 130-90x16 tire. A 140 tire will fit, at 5mm more a side and hardly worth the cost for the minimal change or appearence. Use up the one you have and don't worry about how wide the rear tire looks.

As for lowering the rear: If you intend on carrying a pessenger, ditch the stock shocks and go with a set of Progressive shocks. Stock shocks are OK for one person, but lack compression with two, so adding lowering blocks will defeat the purpose.

progressive shocks will work to lower the bike and allow you to carry a passenger, with enough preload to NOT bottom out too.

·
Murdured HD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Leave the baffles in. With you having both pipes and aircleaner, the carb is jetted for the pipes as they are. If you reomve the baffles, you'll need to rejet again. Beside, the SE baffles aren't that quiet. You can reomve the baffles and move the tabs a bit to get more sound, if that's what you're looking for, and readjust the a/f mixture to suit.

MT90B16 = a bias ply 130-90x16 tire. A 140 tire will fit, at 5mm more a side and hardly worth the cost for the minimal change or appearence. Use up the one you have and don't worry about how wide the rear tire looks.

As for lowering the rear: If you intend on carrying a pessenger, ditch the stock shocks and go with a set of Progressive shocks. Stock shocks are OK for one person, but lack compression with two, so adding lowering blocks will defeat the purpose.

progressive shocks will work to lower the bike and allow you to carry a passenger, with enough preload to NOT bottom out too.
where would you recommend getting a pair of these progressive shocks at a good price ?

As for the Tire I plan on using up the one I have now and then going with a 140.

Thank !

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
where would you recommend getting a pair of these progressive shocks at a good price ?

As for the Tire I plan on using up the one I have now and then going with a 140.

Thank !
Ebay (Gag.....I know....:eek7) or JPCycle. I got mine off Ebay, but I've gotten some good deals off JPCycle. Maybe some others can chime in on where they've gotten good deals.

I own a Dyna, but same concept. I had Progressives on my 1988 Sporty too. I run Progressive front and rear suspension.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
You guys think I will be able to go with a 10.5 inch progressive shock and still be able to run a 140 tire ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-5...0838363QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
You can run a 10.5 shock depending on what YOU weigh and a persepctive passenger.

As for the tire width, that depends on the belt contact when mounted. Take a look at the 130 you have now. Figure out the clearence you have and realistically, you might be able to fit a 150-30x16 on the bike, depending if you have a naroow enough belt.

Not suggesting you bail from here, but the XL-Forum.com has more information regarding sporties, then here, just by application alone.

http://xlforum.net/index.html

·
Out Riding
477 Posts
Hello and welcome from Tucson.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
The best advise I can give you is the more things you try to change the more problems you will run into and the more things you will have to rectify. It's usually a form over function scenario. Your bike looks great as it is ,so just ride and enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts