Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thanks for allowing me to join a very informative, and friendly forum. I am new to the motorcycle world, I have yet to obtain my full bike endorsement, I purchased a 2003 sportster 1200 anniversary edition with a trike add on for my first ever bike. I hope that I will be able learn from the many experienced people on this site . So that you all know I have never ridden a motorcycle I have rode bikes and a moped a few times but never a motorcycle, that's why I got the trike kit, so it would be easier to control, and learn on. Any and all input will be greatly welcomed.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Welcome!

I don't want to damper your enthusiasm in any way, but in the interest of your heath, I should mention that the handling characteristics of a trike and conventional two-wheeler don't really mirror in any way.

I had never ridden a road trike, and got a chance a few years ago. I almost killed myself on that thing. It is completely different than riding a motorcycle.

But, if you stay with a trike, there are a bunch of nice options out there. The general experience of being in the wind is quite the same!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome from Michigan

You are going to really enjoy this forum there is lots of good info on here about everything having to do with bikes and how ppl use them!

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome from central Michigan. I echo chasarms above comments regarding trikes. I detailed bikes at a Harley/chopper shop and one of our shop bikes was a raked sport trike. Totally different handling! It required a LOT of thought, especially in traffic. That said, I see a lot of trikes on the road, some towing trailers, so it can be done and enjoyed.

My suggestion is to ride (if you can) little-used blacktops during the week until you have a good feel for your bike's handling.

Above all: Ride Safely.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Welcome from St. Louis!:bikerguy:

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Welcome from SE Oklahoma!!! Lots of great ppl/info on here!!!

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Welcome from NE Ohio. If you decide you don't like the trike option are you able to remove it?

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Welcome from Wyoming
It is a friendly forum but everybody has a different sense of humor. So dont get butt hurt when you read some responses to your questions etc the locals might be joking with you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is a valcory tike add on that can be removed in about 10 minutes, only using it until I am comfortable shifting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome.

My first bike was a Sportster 1200. A friend loaned me her Honda Rebel for a few weeks so I could learn a bit about riding, and I took a motorcycle safety course (highly recommended.) Before I knew it I was quite comfortable with the Sportster.

Now after 20 years without a motorcycle, I picked up a Heritage Softail. A little shakey around the parking lot a few times, but I've adjusted to it and am loving it.

I'm sure you will be enjoying that Sportster in no time, with shifting becoming second nature. Enjoy!

David

1 - 20 of 22 Posts