Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not new to riding but have recently started researching how to perform my own maintenance. I ran into a dilema and I'm not sure if it's serious... This might be something simple but I'm clueless.

My bike has been garage kept all winter and I just went in to start it. I hooked up a battery charger because I was out of juice and when I returned to start it, after a few tries it made a pop sound from around the air filter and a white puff of smoke came out followed by a nasty smell. Did I screw something up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't really done anything to it as far as winterizing it other then stabilizing fluid. I'm not sure if I messed something up due to repeated attempts of starting when the battery wasn't fully charged. I also mistakenly had the charger on 10V chargin by accident opposed to the 2V reccomended charge. The problem occured a few more time but I'm not sure if I should try to start it again when it's charged or take it to the shop

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
The "pop" was just an intake backfire due to raw fuel igniting in the intake. It didn't hurt anything. Once your battery is fully charged, go back and start it up.

Next winter, if not sooner, invest $30 in a Battery Tender, or another brand "Float" charger. Letting your battery run down will harm the battery and at $137 a pop for a new one, it's only half as annoying as the time that it takes a crap on you, is always the weeked you REALLY wanted to go riding. My batteries last 5-6 years, and NEVER go dead on me.

Seeing that you live only 1.5 hours south of me, and you're another PAer here, I cut you some slack on the "introduction" thing.:thumb

However, why not stop in the "New to the Community" section, introduce yourself, and hang out a bit.......

Welcome

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Fuel injected, or carb? Maybe you had it flooded by using your choke too much?? Sounds like that's what happened. The engine backfired thru the carb causing the puff of smoke out the carb.

As has been already said. Buy a 'Battery Tender' and use it anytime you're not riding the bike. It only charges when it sees the battery voltage drop, rather than a steady charge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts