Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.....I recently added a set of Vance & Hines slip-on's, a FuelPak fuel management system, and a high-flow air intake to my 2007 Road King Classic. Almost immediately I noticed a LOT of popping noise any time I decelerated or went down a hill. Once I realized that the problem wasn't going away I contacted Vance & Hines (via email) and one of their people provided instructions to change a few of the settings/mods on the FuelPak. When that didn't help they provided another set of new settings. Without going into all of the details I just finished making my 4th set of adjustments to the FuelPak system and the problem is just as bad, if not worse, than before. Quite honestly, the popping noise is embarrassing.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and (if so) what did you do about it?

Please help!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have Vance & Hines big radius high flow intake fuel pack. I have that noise every time I slow down or down shift. But it doesn't bother me

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
The decel popping comes from a overly rich A/F mixture.
Unburnt fuel exiting the head through the exhaust valve and then detonating when hitting the hot head pipe.
Not familiar with Fuel Packs. (running a carbed bike). But some have tuning options.
Does yours have an option to manually tune or auto-tune?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have V&H twin slash ovals behind V&H true duals. Decel pop immediately became apparent once the OEM slip-on's were replaced. Recently added the V&H Micro EFI fuel tuner along with a Stage 1 AC. This combo reduced the decal pop about 50% but it still raps to some degree. I think it's the nature of the V&H beast is all. I don't mind it too much and I can also control the intensity by not shutting the throttle down 100% on the decel. Keep it about 2-3% open and you'll find the excessive popping can be eliminated if you prefer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What I found works best is the ThunderMax. Had that installed a couple of weeks ago and my bike runs so much better.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The decel popping comes from a overly rich A/F mixture.
Unburnt fuel exiting the head through the exhaust valve and then detonating when hitting the hot head pipe.
Not familiar with Fuel Packs. (running a carbed bike). But some have tuning options.
Does yours have an option to manually tune or auto-tune?
Thanks for the info Thunderstruck. I had no idea the popping/gurgling sound was the unburnt fuel detonating in the exhaust.

The FuelPak fuel management system has a series of numbers that you are supposed to manually input (when you install the system) based upon your bike type, exhaust type, etc. The numbers are supplied by V&H.

I called V&H yesterday and they are going to have me return the FuelPak to test it and make sure it is working properly.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks for the info Thunderstruck. I had no idea the popping/gurgling sound was the unburnt fuel detonating in the exhaust.

The FuelPak fuel management system has a series of numbers that you are supposed to manually input (when you install the system) based upon your bike type, exhaust type, etc. The numbers are supplied by V&H.

I called V&H yesterday and they are going to have me return the FuelPak to test it and make sure it is working properly.
Your tune is off i have V&H Monster Ovals stage 1 air and a PV2 and once i set the tune right, it runs like a champ.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I like that sound.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You did a stage 1 upgrade by increasing airflow by putting on the high flow air filter and you decreased back pressure by adding the slip-on mufflers. The V&H tuner is not the best tuner on the market and it isn't capable of making the correct AFR adjustments.
What you need to do is remove the V&H tuner and go to your HD dealer and have them reflash the bikes ECM for the stage 1 mods you done then see how the bike runs because you may not even need the tuner, if the bike needs a little help then install the V&H tuner which should be able to make the minor adjustments needed to make the bike run right.
Also check the exhaust install for exhaust leaks.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
I like that sound.
Far as I know. Does not hurt a thing.
But does indicate a slight problem.
Incorrect A/F mixture. Maybe an exhaust leak as said by M K.
If the leak is at the head it can be a problem.
When cold air is sucked in that close to hot valves it can be bad.

·
CVFFCV
112 Posts
Doesn't the FuelPak have an auto tune feature? Maybe put it in Auto Tune mode and go out for the day to see if that helps.

When I got my intake and exhaust installed at first, the dealer just flashed the ECU with a download, and I did get some pretty obnoxious popping on deceleration, but after a proper dyno tune it's running perfect. I'm using the Super Tuner though... maybe if you can't get it properly running with the FuelPak, see what Harley has to say about it.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Ditch the Fuel Pak, and go with a better tuner. My bike will still pop, but rarely. I switched to a Power Vision tuner, and my bike runs a lot better, less fuel smell, less popping by about 96%, and starts cleaner/faster.

I didn't think the tuner would make that much of a difference, I switched cause I got a good deal, and I am happy I did.

·
Registered
222 Posts
After doing stage 1 on my new bike I had lots of popping. Using my Power Vision I used the "Quick Tune" feature and added fuel and 2 degree timing. Then a couple of Auto Tune rides and I'm very happy with the results.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts