Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this happen. I had new tires put on my 2013 FLSTFB. It was around 5500 miles. I was told that the rear wheel bearings where bad so I had new ones put in under warranty. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
326 Posts
After 08, very common...the new style bearings are "challenged"...
I had two wheel bearing failures on a brand new, garaged rocker...first one at 6k under warranty and the second at 13k...the second at 65 mph, which did 1200 bucks extra damage and almost made me go boom...nlol...
The hd tech who replaced my last ones under warranty, told me they were do-do...
I had them replaced with Timken. Only 30 bucks for a quality set you can trust your life with...
do a search, tons of failures...
Ride safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rodzilla6, I did a search and your right on. Thinking about getting an extended warranty and if or when they fail I'll go with Timken.

·
245 Posts
Just my .02

I am so glad I have a 99 without sealed bearings.
Waterproof grease (Bel Ray) $6
Axle seals $6 ($3 ea.)
Timken Bearings $13 ea. (fronts last 30-35k rears last over 50k on my Road King. For the cost, and 1/2 hour of my time it's cheaper to replace as soon as they look a little grey or dull.)
Lisle Bearing Buddy Packer $20 (filled with Bel Ray)
HD Bearing race removal tool $100 (I service 4 bikes with 3/4" axles)

Peace of mind after cleaning, visually inspecting the bearing and race, repacking and re installing....

priceless!!!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
wheel bearings

"I am so glad I have a 99 without sealed bearings. "

What year did they go sealed? I've got an 02 and they appear sealed in the manual. I'm at 35,000. Guessing they need a change

·
Totaly Retired
65 Posts
Thanks Rodzilla6, I did a search and your right on. Thinking about getting an extended warranty and if or when they fail I'll go with Timken.
had mine replaced in the rear after the first tire change,the HD tech said they are "suppose" to last a lifetime,even he wasnt impressed. there was only 15000 miles on the bike. the bike now has almost 40000,i replaced the rear tire this fall,purchased a bearing remover and installer from Charlies Garage and replace them with timkin bearings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts