Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking into getting a bike for a long time now. Was going to get a jap bike and build a bobber out of it. Not really a fan of the jap bikes at all, they are all god awful ugly stock. I was looking for a little bit of a project and something I could eventually build the way I wanted it. I love turning wrenches and Im prepared to spend a little money. So, I had an AR build that I don't want anymore and found a guy that was selling a 76 XLH 1000, hes interested in trading my AR for his sportster. Ive been reading up on these bike and have a little knowledge but can you guys give me the low down on the 76s. I know it has some crazy linkage to move the shifter to the left but I hear its well built. The motor on this bike apparently has 5000 on it since a rebuild and starts right up. What should I be looking for when I go to check this thing out? Tell me everything!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Somebody school me up a little bit. Which is the best carb to go with? S&S Super E or HD CV carb? Are both direct fit? Whats this I hear about a points ignition? What else can I do to make this thing run good?

·
Earth-bound Misfit
624 Posts

·
Registered
38,894 Posts
If it starts right up like you say, I'd wait to see what carb is on there.... may have already swapped out the stock (Bendix) carb.

CV is hard to beat on Ironheads, but you will need to get an adaptor for the carb in order to mount it on the flange mount intake.

They also make the metal flanges that don't use the rubber seal.

It is press fit and bonded to the carb.

More photos here:
Vendio.com

Harley CV Carb Flange Shovelhead Sportster 40mm or 44mm | eBay

Article describing the process:
CV Carburetor

·
Office Linebacker
1,218 Posts
I can chime in a bit here...
As I just got that same bike on the road last summer.

First of all, It is just a blast. Easy to work on if you have even a bit of wrenching talent.

A couple of things to think about:

First off the carb:
Mine came with a stock Keihin Carb. After rebuild, works absolutely flawlwssly... I wont consider changing it.

But fair warning, As I researched, if stock, it could be any one of three carb models (Bendix, and 2 versions of the Keihin). Let me know if you want more info on this.

As for other things, look at the regulator... Is it mechanical (on left side of frame under seat, or solid state? (Either in the original place, or possibly attached to the gen.

On that note, check the Generator... Is it otiginal, or possibly replaced with an alternator style.

I can't recommend one way or the other. There are plusses and minuses to both.

Also, regarding mechanical points vs. electronic...
I prefer the points... but that is just me.

My experience is that every once a month or so, I am tightening some bolts or something, but that is it's charm.

She will be an ornery beast.
Like a super hot woman that is just SO high maintenance, and all of your friends tell you to dump... But you just can't.

Enjoy!
Let me know how I can help!

Here is how mine turned out.
1976 XLH (95% stock)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your bike looks great. The only difference is that my speedo is on the tank and it doesnt have the two big gauges on top like yours does. I dont know if thats stock for a 76 or not. Going to get it today tho, Ill make sure to get some pics on here.

·
Office Linebacker
1,218 Posts
Thanks for the complement!
Gauges on mine are stock.

Looking forward to your pics...
And welcome to the world of Ironheads.
Great to see another on the road!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I still have the stock Keihin butterfly carb on mine. I've tweaked it a bit with an Andrews accelerator pump, bigger jets, no choke plate/shaft, and a smoothed intake manifold. Teamed with a SE air cleaner kit, it works great.

If it runs good, I'd check it out for the regular stuff (chain adjustment, tires, engine oil, primary/transmission oil, etc.) and just ride it a while and become familiar with it before thinking of making any changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I have some bad news...
So I have been talking to the potential seller for several days and he said the bike was solid, runs and drives, nothing wrong other than some bad paint and a little dry rot on the oil lines, never laid it over.

Well after driving a hour and a half to trade for what I thought was a good bike I was severely disappointed. There was a list of bads...
Right side case cover had a crack in front of the foot peg
Bars were bent where he laid it over a long time ago
Clutch cable was broken
Oil lines on the front of the motor leaked, A LOT
Wheels didn't match
Back tire was wrong size
Wouldn't run without feathering the throttle and choke and even then it wouldnt stay running
Smoked and smelled like a little burning oil
Seals and gaskets all over were dried out and exhaust leak on the front cylinder.
"Said" it was rebuilt 5000 miles ago but Im pretty sure that was about 1985. Oh and it was R Titled...
Needless to say I was pretty revved up and told him to kick rocks and pound sand. Better luck next time

·
Registered
695 Posts
Good luck in your search. I had the same thing happen to me years ago when I drove 50 miles to look at a Norton Commando. It was supposedly all stock and in great condition, so I took my wife with me to drive the car home after I bought it. It turned out to be a hacksawed, spray-can painted mess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts