Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll be the first to admit that I am a novice and try to be mindful of this while riding. I have yet to encounter rain and am looking for wisdom. This time of year rain will come out of the blue. I’m trying to ride more and more so at some point it will get me. Any pointers for a first time rain rider ?

·
Try'n to behave
6,631 Posts
Light rain, don't bother wasting time, get through it and be done. Heavy chit. Get your rain gear on early. Wear a full face helmet, ride a little slower but don't let it worry you too much. As long as you have good tires, your bike will roll right through.

RELAX!

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,160 Posts
If you are the habit of using either your front or rear brakes more you will slide and probably go down. Stay out of the center of the lane. It gets very slippery when the rain starts.
Yup, be cautious when rain first starts. It will bring up the oils to the surface.
If it rains long enough, this will get washed off the roads.

·
Registered
12,590 Posts
If it's gonna rain and you have a choice, ride the interstates rather than the 2 lane roads. Most interstates have lots of overpasses you can shelter under during the worst of a storm. And when you do park under an overpass, get away from your parked bike. Walk a bit up the steep concrete slope so if a sleepy or otherwise impaired driver takes out your parked bike they won't get you.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hello @Mjblat and even though you joined the site prior to me, welcome from Virginia.

I ride several bikes year round, and each has a different personality in the rain. You have one of the best all-around machines when it comes to the HD line up in your Standard. ABS works best on dry pavement. At times, the ABS on my bikes feels awkward if I need to emergency brake. I have yet to use emergency braking on my new Road Kind but just yesterday I rode threw a significant thunder-boomer on my way home for work. In the stretches of freeway where cagers were not acting squeamish, I rode on at a leisurely pace around 70mph. I had a half helmet so the rain does hurt some. Then again, I spent a good portion of my life swimming beneath hovering helicopter which is about the same sting when the water drop impact soft tissue. I just ride on.

Motorcycle tires do a better job of removing water than flat car tires do. Just don't push them too hard as mentioned by previous posters. And as others have said, get away from the main passage if you do stop under an overpass. Well intention cagers do lose control in the rain often around my are of Northern Virginia.

For rain gear, Frogg Troggs are less expensive but seem to dislike touching hot exhaust pipes. I find that most motorcycle rain gear also melts when it hit hot parts. To avoid melting plastic, I wear a set of chaps over the rain pants regardless who makes them. Keep the chaps well oiled/waxed and they will prevent a lot of rain getting through in the first place.

Good luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I’ll be the first to admit that I am a novice and try to be mindful of this while riding. I have yet to encounter rain and am looking for wisdom. This time of year rain will come out of the blue. I’m trying to ride more and more so at some point it will get me. Any pointers for a first time rain rider ?
My 1991 Harley Springer has no windshield, so I pay attention to the sky. usually if there's one or 2 clouds in a mostly clear shy I don't mind rain because I'll soon be back in the sun and the wind dries me off . BUT once I see the overcast sky and feel drops of rain I stop right then and put on my $20 rain suit . yes super cheap at a discount store . Pants have elastic waist ,jacket has a hood and zipper . I bought extra large to fit over my riding jacket.. I have a half helmut with a snap on face sheild too. So once the rain starts I get dressed for a long period of rain , if I'm wrong I can easily take it off. BUT If I dont dress right away and wait until I'm soaked ,no matter what, I'm going to stay wet and cold . That causes bad riding . you tense up, your reaction time slows .your brain slows down. You balance is off , you start to fear the traffic kicking up all the spray that blinds you for a minute .. . No matter what ,once your body gets chilled it wont warm up. I have often stopped at a diner for a bowl of soup or chili and asked for a bottle of tabasco sauce to get my system warm again.. ( That was in my beginner days when I thought rain gear looked stupid)
Once suited up your going to be nice and dry and warm. No reason to tense up, ,nothing to fear . your good riding ability wont change . .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh , to add to my above post , To worry about how you look in your rain gear is ok, but the important thing is staying alive . My rain gear cost $20,and looks ridiculous to some maybe, but inside it all warm and dry I feel on top of the world .Here's a photo
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2019 Fat Boy FLFBS
150 Posts
All the painted lines in the road can be like ice when wet, careful turning or stopping on them
I tend to ride away from the cars, one time I was caught I was about in the breakdown lane
I stop under an overpass when caught if possible
One person actually had his bike thrown down an embankment due to a strong wind - so depends upon the storm
Disc brakes will not work very good in the rain, I test them & try to dry them out while driving, ease up when I feel then finally catching
I rode from NY city to my Brothers in MD in a downpour one summer
I left my heavy leather at his house & it was still damp a week later when I returned
Leaving Daytona Beach one year I saw bikers under an overpass pulling on rain gear
As I rounded the corner, I saw the rain cloud they already saw
I drove thru it, had been swimming in the Ocean & needed to wash off the salt
How comfortable I am depends upon where I am, Temps, and the road

·
Registered
27 Posts
Decrease speed, no hard braking, if it looks slick it is. Maintaining control at all costs. It starts a little shower have gear ready. Shielded helmet. Slower in turns across train tracks and metal grates, etc. rain to hard? Use flashers pull off to side of road or under overpaths. If caught riding behind any vehicle and cannot merge or pull off, uses flashers if you have them. Slow down and ride in tire track’s ahead. Be wise, ride prepared.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually, pulling under overpaths is one of the most dangerous places to pull off.

Matter of opinions, we were headed east I-40, 4 lanes each way, storming so bad, visibility nearly zero. All rain gear on. Didn’t matter. Overpass would have been nice. Not available. Pulled off very carefully but under control. Pours so hard for an hour. Like fog, steam coming off road. As far as dangerous, yes, although, my escape route at the time was, 1. Overpasses you can pull off under and stay away from bikes just in case some idiot is careless. We pulled away after hour and a half. Dry glasses. It was still raining pretty good. Made an exit and regroup!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Living in the UK , I am used to riding in the rain , give yourself more room , be smooth , drain covers ,white lines and diesel are like black ice and make sure your tires are properly inflated .

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,160 Posts
Living in the UK , I am used to riding in the rain , give yourself more room , be smooth , drain covers ,white lines and diesel are like black ice and make sure your tires are properly inflated .
Yeah, but living in the UK, how is your dry weather riding skills?

• Haha
Reactions: sardonicus87
1 - 20 of 22 Posts