Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I financed for an ex-boyfriend a 1996 FLSTC. I obviously became the soul owner (if you missed the ex part in the boyfriend) after a couple months of making the payment I convinced my self to ride. I had not riding solo in over 20 years. Well success was all I can say and Ive been riding her ever since. However there seamed to be some bad mojo hanging over her and I'm wanting to give her a custom make over. It was his fathers bike of 14 years not something I would have personally chose but she is mine and I want to make her mine in look as well. So i9f I could get some help and suggestions I'm all ears, but hers my vision...…..im wanting to convert her to a low, lean, sexy machine! I want to tank off and change out her front and rear fenders no problems there. The problem I'm having is in the rear tire department being an older model the max tire is a 150 however I got this bad 18" 180 with custom rim and pully and I really really want to use it I heard that switching to a chain and sprocket is the only way that I can make this all come together in the stock frame and swing arm. so what I want to know if any one out here has any recommendation of how I can and how to do this modification? I am also open to other suggestion as well. Please keep in mind im on a fixed budget so trying and needing to keep it tight.

·
weird member
2,061 Posts
Firstly, welcome.

Second, I can't help with your modification questions, but there's a few here that certainly can. Stick around, one of them may pop in.

If not, you could always try asking about the wheel modification in the Wheels and Tires sub-forum. Just make sure you make it clear in the title of the thread, some people may know that don't look specifically in there and could see it under the "new posts" tab.

·
Super Moderator
4,141 Posts
Great intro and welcome! Look forward to some bike pics.

·
Registered
21,312 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Connecticut.

Changing from belt to a chain is doable, but it will require regular maintenance (lubing and adjusting) once it is done.....
not to mention the wheel will get dirty fast from the lube flinging off the chain.

The clutch , primary chain , compensator sprocket and inner primary will have to come off to get to the front pulley off....
I'm not sure what size sockets you'll need , they are big and the pulley nut you'll need a deep socket to clear the output shaft.

I don't know what kind of tools you have access to , or your mechanical abilities, if you bring it to a shop.it will be back on the road sooner, but it will cost more $$$.
If you do it yourself, you'll save labor cost , but it will take longer because you'll be learning as you go ,step by step until you run out of pages in the repair manual.

·
Super Moderator
12,599 Posts
Completely doable.

As mentioned before, you will need some specialty tool for the primary and clutch (left handed thread by the way).

I hope you do it, I would enjoy a good step by step thread. Just don't get into a hurry. Take you time and you can do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First I would like to thank you all for your comments. It just so happens that i am mechanically inclined but that doesnt mean i know how to fix everything, yes i know i just said that out loud (LOL). I have tools. I like tools......there shinny and pretty! (OMG) My father told me many years ago to buy tools. Not only are they worth money they can make money. That has always stuck with me. I tend to take on more then i can handel it seams like theses day. Since the incident that retired me back in 2016 I still struggle with my limitations. I usually watch a few You tube videos, however i wasnt able to find any, least not any with a step by step process.
That info on the chain goop slopping all over that super pretty chrome pulley and rim just about brought tears to my eyes as I was trying to visualize it. I had these great plans of tearing her all down and putting all new seals it. I am getting blow back in my carburetor so its likely the breather seals are bad. Still considering doing it but times running out the sunny weather is coming got cabin fever bad havent ridden since that nice spell we had right after Christmas.

Ok last question how troublesome is posting pictures to this site ;)

·
Retired citizen
22,529 Posts
Changing from belt drive to chain drive on a '96 FLSTC, hmmmmm ? Now I'm interested ! I'm going to be following this thread.
The '96 is the wide belt, I might try to convert using the later model narrow belt rather than the chain IMO. I don't know that any aftermarket place even has a chain sprocket that fits the belt drive trans main shaft.
OP needs to cross reference parts for her bike at 'RonniesPartsFinder to see what will fit her Softail.
Hey OP, tools are a mans' jewels ! Your father knows best !

·
Registered
727 Posts
I love when my wife goes to Marshall's, T.J. Max, or Home Goods . . . there is a Lowe's and Home Depot that I walk to and now Lowe's is starting to carry more and more Craftsman tools.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: $of far I've been able to fit that 5.5 with 180 and and inch and a half belt in the rear end of my 96 softail. Man what a difference from the 150 to the 180 a much better ride in my opinion , however not able to ride much! So I need to order brake lines and I'm wanting to replace them all but starting with the tear cause the stock line is to short for the new positioning of the new brake and caliper. Now I've looked and looked so I'm gonna AK you all....... I'd like to get a length of line and be able to replace the old and have it been the length I need it to be any suggestions about that ?

·
Super Moderator
4,141 Posts
Oh come on, when did we become MC Grammar? We have a chick that wrenches.... Give her a brake... (line).. get it...

Sorry Nichole, not sure about finding the correct length line, look forward to seeing the bike though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well it's obvious that people suck. Why cause they will disappoint you and even doubt you. I have spent to many years proving my self to others. I've come to the conclusions the only person I have to prove anything to is me self. I am not afraid of being unsuccessful or even failure. I'm no expert on the history of the Harley Davidson Corp, but I wonder how many failures they had before a success? I've experienced both of those in my life and I don't have quit in me. I also can except that I have limitations. I've always believed if I can visualize it I can do it and if I put my mind to it I can do just about anything! Now on the flip side I am no engineer nor a Moorhead . Roukie is a key word, but I'm still here and I'm still plugging away with some success and considering I have very little ownership experience as a solo operator I say THANKS to those who encourage me and I say to those who may have doubts.......don't worry I won't be coming to your place to work on your bike any time soon, just saying you shouldn't be negative to anyone in here and if your a longtime member I'm so sure you have ran into a few "hum-dingers" I get that, but I came here for the experience of those members isn't this what these forums are suppose to be about? So with all that said.......stay tuned for more!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts